Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:02 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:57 pm 
Site Admin

We're back this week with a review of Robert Rodriguez's Desperado, which has nothing to do with the song by the Eagles, as far as we can tell. Plus, we're joined by Pop Culture Happy Hour's Glen Weldon to chat about the Movie That Made Him, and we'll help you make the most of this holiday season by suggesting some excellent, sophisticated movie/food pairings.

Glen is the author of Superman: The Unauthorized Biography, and you can (and should!) follow him on Tumblr and Twitter.

For next week's show, we'll be watching Olympus Has Fallen, which is available now on Netflix Watch Instant.

Wham Bam Pow Ep. 35 - Desperado

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:54 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

"I DID IT!"-Rhea Butcher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:00 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Podcast crossover! Nice to hear Glen Weldon talk about one of the Saturday afternoon movies that made me "Clash of the Titans". I am gonna have to watch it again.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:31 pm 
New Kid

I loved this episode. Somehow my podcatcher (Brief on Firefox) missed this one until #36 posted and then they both popped up. It finally inspired me to make an account at MaxFun to give you a yell.

You made this movie sound so good. I stood in the video store back in the day, holding the box for this movie in my hand, and I always put it back. It seemed like since I owned the original El Mariachi, why would I watch the hollywoodized copy with a higher budget? Even if it was what Rodriguez wanted to do with a real budget. Next time I am thinking about a cheeseburger movie (not good for you, but oh so tasty) I will think again about watching this.

Bringing in Glen Weldon was really fun, too. I am not necessarily in your target demographic (as close to 50 as Ricky is to 40, white heterosexual guy from Missouri, in the rural, unenlightened parts), so I can suddenly feel if I am somehow sucking up to you younger, cooler, more dynamic kids when you mention your first media moments or reference movies. Even though you don't know or care who listens to the show in the privacy of their own earbuds, there's a weird twinge sometimes. Aside from sexual preference, Glen more closely fits my time and media experience and I didn't have any of those "am I that much older?" moments this episode.

I did have a nice moment of synchronicity to the discussion of Gal Godot as Wonder Woman. I went and looked her up and thought, "She's kinda twig-like." As I was thinking that, Carmen (?) said almost the same thing. As an old guy, though, Lynda Carter was Wonder Woman during my adolescence and I completely bought her as dynamic, tough, and sexy. If you go watch those old episodes, eh, they're pretty bad and I think they didn't even let her fight much in the first season. I am thinking that whoever plays that part will be Wonder Woman for the ten year-olds of today. Maybe they'll bulk her up - I can't complain about the tough fighting women do in ANY of Zac Snyder's movies even if the plots or character use of the women are infantile in the movie as a whole.

Speaking of which, I don't see that you have reviewed Snyder's SUCKER PUNCH. I know it doesn't deserve an episode of its own, but I would love to see your reaction. It is such a screwed-up mess that had such great potential and fell into chaos so weirdly. I am thinking that it really shows us a lot about his sexual fantasies more than anything else, and I wish I could get each of the ingredients separated and combine them into a cool movie of my own.

Looking forward to hearing about Upside Down. It sounds like the kind of movie that I'd prefer you scouted out for me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:56 pm 
Site Admin

Leprejuan wrote:
I loved this episode. Somehow my podcatcher (Brief on Firefox) missed this one until #36 posted and then they both popped up. It finally inspired me to make an account at MaxFun to give you a yell.

You made this movie sound so good. I stood in the video store back in the day, holding the box for this movie in my hand, and I always put it back. It seemed like since I owned the original El Mariachi, why would I watch the hollywoodized copy with a higher budget? Even if it was what Rodriguez wanted to do with a real budget. Next time I am thinking about a cheeseburger movie (not good for you, but oh so tasty) I will think again about watching this.

Bringing in Glen Weldon was really fun, too. I am not necessarily in your target demographic (as close to 50 as Ricky is to 40, white heterosexual guy from Missouri, in the rural, unenlightened parts), so I can suddenly feel if I am somehow sucking up to you younger, cooler, more dynamic kids when you mention your first media moments or reference movies. Even though you don't know or care who listens to the show in the privacy of their own earbuds, there's a weird twinge sometimes. Aside from sexual preference, Glen more closely fits my time and media experience and I didn't have any of those "am I that much older?" moments this episode.

I did have a nice moment of synchronicity to the discussion of Gal Godot as Wonder Woman. I went and looked her up and thought, "She's kinda twig-like." As I was thinking that, Carmen (?) said almost the same thing. As an old guy, though, Lynda Carter was Wonder Woman during my adolescence and I completely bought her as dynamic, tough, and sexy. If you go watch those old episodes, eh, they're pretty bad and I think they didn't even let her fight much in the first season. I am thinking that whoever plays that part will be Wonder Woman for the ten year-olds of today. Maybe they'll bulk her up - I can't complain about the tough fighting women do in ANY of Zac Snyder's movies even if the plots or character use of the women are infantile in the movie as a whole.

Speaking of which, I don't see that you have reviewed Snyder's SUCKER PUNCH. I know it doesn't deserve an episode of its own, but I would love to see your reaction. It is such a screwed-up mess that had such great potential and fell into chaos so weirdly. I am thinking that it really shows us a lot about his sexual fantasies more than anything else, and I wish I could get each of the ingredients separated and combine them into a cool movie of my own.

Looking forward to hearing about Upside Down. It sounds like the kind of movie that I'd prefer you scouted out for me.

I love that we're reaching all sorts of demographics! Thanks for listening :)

As far as Gal Gadot goes, I think it's interesting they chose her to play such a highly anticipated character, given her relatively limited film and television credits. I didn't see the Fast films she was in -- maybe she was great in those? I have really complicated feelings about how we talk about women's bodies in Hollywood. On the one hand, I feel like Gadot's size shouldn't factor in to how we perceive her ability to succeed in the role. It was crappy when people were complaining about Jennifer Lawrence being too heavy to play Katniss (which...I can't even...), and while it isn't as gross in reverse, it still gets my hackles up when we casually pass judgment on these actors' bodies. On the other hand, I think this could have been a great opportunity to add some diversity to the type of bodies we see on screen.

In any case, I hope Gal kills it because I think you're right -- this could very well be THE Wonder Woman for kids today. Glen actually wrote a pretty great piece on Gal's casting and Wonder Woman in general, which you can find here.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:00 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Tiny Lindsay wrote:
Leprejuan wrote:

I love that we're reaching all sorts of demographics! Thanks for listening :)

As far as Gal Gadot goes, I think it's interesting they chose her to play such a highly anticipated character, given her relatively limited film and television credits. I didn't see the Fast films she was in -- maybe she was great in those? I have really complicated feelings about how we talk about women's bodies in Hollywood. On the one hand, I feel like Gadot's size shouldn't factor in to how we perceive her ability to succeed in the role. It was crappy when people were complaining about Jennifer Lawrence being too heavy to play Katniss (which...I can't even...), and while it isn't as gross in reverse, it still gets my hackles up when we casually pass judgment on these actors' bodies. On the other hand, I think this could have been a great opportunity to add some diversity to the type of bodies we see on screen.

In any case, I hope Gal kills it because I think you're right -- this could very well be THE Wonder Woman for kids today. Glen actually wrote a pretty great piece on Gal's casting and Wonder Woman in general, which you can find here.

I had a real difficult time reading all the backlash against Gadot when her casting was announced. People were complaining about two things: a) her breast size isn't "big enough" to play WW, b) she was too thin/twiggy to play WW, and c) because she is Israeli, she cannot play the part of an Amazonian.

Point a) I say this: superheroes (and especially the old comics) are not drawn to human specifications. The reason they are all ripped or well endowed in certain areas is because the artist has the ability to do that with a fictional drawing. No actress was ever going to fit every single specification of the role. Instead of just being happy that WW is coming to the big screen at all, people were harping on such trivial details. They were never going to find an actress with the right look, ability, physical structure, emotional range, flexibility, and hourglass shape to play WW.

Point b) This one really made me mad. Do people seriously not think that Gadot will be hitting the gym every day in leading up to filming this movie? When do we stop doubting people's ability to transform their bodies? Christian Bale packed on like 30 lbs of muscle from his previous role before he filmed Batman Begins. Everyone said Chris Evans couldn't play Captain America and look how he worked on his body. I seriously doubt that Warner Bros. would let Gadot do any of her own stunts in the slender shape she's in now. She'll likely have to muscle up just to keep up with the demands of the fight choreography. Ever since I doubted Heath Ledger could play The Joker, I've shut up about any casting reservations. He proved me wrong and I'll forever admit it.

Point b.5) I could go off on a whole tangent about how it's so hypocritical to criticize Gadot's frame for a role when we as a society put such unrealistic weight/body goals on actresses, and women in general. Here's a woman who looks fantastic (although if she were my girlfriend, I'd have her eat a sandwich or two), and yet she's being shrugged off by fanboys because she's TOO thin. People need to wake up and realize we all have a different genetic makeup that affects our bodies in different ways. Again, no one was ever going to fit every detail of WW. I'm sure the Gal Gadot in pictures on the red carpet will look nothing like the one we see on screen.

Point c) Because she's Israeli, suddenly she can't play an Amazonian warrior? Did they expect to cast an actress from the Amazon? I'm way more excited for her to be in the role than an A-list actor like Sandra Bullock or Angelina Jolie. And nothing against those fantastic actresses, but for some movies where they really have to immerse themselves in a role, I can't look past their status. I call this phenomenon The Clooney Factor. Clooney, despite being a great actor, pretty much always "plays himself" in his roles. You'd never see him lose himself in makeup or prosthetics like Johnny Depp. And that's ok. But if it were Sandra Bullock playing WW, the whole time the movie was playing I'd be thinking, "I'm watching Sandra Bullock play WW." Not "That's WW I'm watching." So I'm happy they got a relatively unknown actress instead of Amy Adams or Jennifer Lawrence (who I love) or whoever is the flavor of the year. I think that's why I liked Man of Steel...I could believe Henry Cavill was Supes because I hadn't seen him in much else.