Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:34 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:42 pm 
Site Admin

Rhea is out this week, but we deliver a spirited review of Olympus Has Fallen at her suggestion, and Ricky really scrapes the bottom of the barrel for a best part of this White House peril movie. Plus, Cameron and Ricky team up to pitch the next great "One Man Job" flick and make billions of dollars. Why didn't we think of this sooner?

Wham Bam Pow Ep. 36 - Olympus Has Fallen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:58 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I think my "best" for this movie was Angela Bassett, despite her talents being underused. I mean, it's Angela Bassett...she's usually the best part of any movie.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:52 pm 
New Kid

I couldn't believe that you guys didn't know Fuqua. He is so in your wheelhouse - half of his movies are cheeseburgery homages to another style (the good ones - cheeseburgery is bad but fun) and the other half are just cheesy. Stay away from King Arthur, but check out Training Day (which is an improved version of the Corruptor - maybe he heard about it from Chow Yun Fat when they worked together) and especially The Replacement Killers.

If you've never seen THE REPLACEMENT KILLERS (which brought him to my attention), it is the best movie for you. It isn't bad enough to be a HOW DID THIS GET MADE movie because it really is fun at times. It wastes some of the best acting talent of a generation playing bit parts that get no depth. There are so many terrific actors giving their all for this half-assed noirish plot. It's EXACTLY a filmed version of a story arc from Feng Shui, the Hong Kong action movie RPG from the same time period. It was a slavish copy of the Hong Kong stuff John Woo and Yun-Fat made so popular, but with only 50% of the real cool and 100% of the smooth style.
How about:
Chow Yun-Fat still learning English, so minimize his dialogue and rely on his palpable warmth to do the job of characterization
Mira Sorvino as the tough chick with a heart of gold, but we're not sure the audience will go for an interracial love story, so keep her as the sexy buddy.
Michael Rooker as the maverick cop who does the wrong but right thing at the end
Kenneth Tsang, who has great ability to be the patriarch of a family or the evil boss, as the generic boss with GREAT exposition but no character whatsoever.
Jurgeon Prochnow and Til Schwieger, really good German actors, criminally underused as villains (but excellent at it)
Danny Trejo, whose best line, "checkmate" made me finally go look him up on the still-primitive internet to find out who he was.
Al Leong - who almost always shows up as the mustachoied asian "leiutenant villain" the heroes have to defeat not long before the boss.