Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:34 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:35 pm 
Talent!
Talent!

One afternoon, Albert Einstein spent an afternoon studying a box that was supposed to harness cosmic sex energy. This happened. Really. And this week on Sawbones, Dr. Sydnee and Justin will introduce you to Wilhelm Reich, the man who made that incredible moment possible.

Download MP3

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:37 pm 
New Kid

This was absolutely brilliant :) Something you might consider, altough perhaps you consider it out of your scope - Ancient folk remedies that don't quite qualify as magic. There's a particularily great chapter in "De Agricultura", a text on running the perfect roman farm, that has such fantastic and easy-to-do cures as....

"To prevent chafing: When you set out on a journey, keep a small branch of Pontic wormwood under the anus."

Or perhaps you feel like vomiting profusely?

"Recipe for a purgative, if you wish to purge thoroughly: Take a pot and pour into it p153six sextarii of water and add the hock of a ham, or, if you have no hock, a half-pound of ham-scraps with as little fat as possible. Just as it comes to a boil, add two cabbage leaves, two beet plants with the roots, a shoot of fern, a bit of the mercury-plant,119 two pounds of mussels, a capito120 fish and one scorpion, six snails, and a handful of lentils. 2 Boil all together down to three sextarii of liquid, without adding oil. Take one sextarius of this while warm, add one cyathus of Coan wine, drink, and rest. Take a second and a third dose in the same way, and you will be well purged. You may drink diluted Coan wine in addition, if you wish. Any one of the many ingredients mentioned above is sufficient to move the bowels; but there are so many ingredients in this concoction that it is an excellent purgative, and, besides, it is agreeable."

And did you know this about cabbages?!

"Of the medicinal value of the cabbage: It is the cabbage which surpasses all other vegetables. It may be eaten either cooked or raw; if you eat it raw, dip it into vinegar. It promotes digestion marvellously and is an excellent laxative, and the urine is wholesome for everything.114 If you wish to drink deep at a banquet and to enjoy your dinner, eat as much raw cabbage as you wish, seasoned with vinegar, before dinner, and likewise after dinner eat some half a dozen leaves; it will make you feel as if you had not dined, and you can drink as much as you please."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:40 pm 
New Kid

The wife is not as podcast-amused as I am. I slowly converted her to put up with my movie podcasts, but the only two podcasts that she makes sure she has not missed are an NPR game show and Sawbones.

I was afraid that after so many good episodes, the apparent slowdown might mean that you are scraping the bottom of the barrel. But genius lines like, "One afternoon, Albert Einstein spent an afternoon studying a box that was supposed to harness cosmic sex energy" prove that you're still on point.

I know that it's sort of an anti-topic for you, but vaccine hysteria (the technical kind of hysteria, not the one you covered) would be cool except that it's mostly the non-doctors and it's more a lack of treatment than a treatment problem. I was also thinking that there must be a good episode worth of material about anesthesis, although I don't know if it would hold together into an actually well-formed episode.

Keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:51 pm 
Maximum Funster

I now know that my life's mission is to continue the search for cosmic sex energy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:55 am 
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad

A Google wormhole led me here: http://www.orgonelab.org. I think this guy is for real - a true fanatic.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:31 pm 
New Kid

Massive oversight on forgetting to mention Kate Bush's "Cloudbusting", which is a song about Wilhelm Reich. It also has one of the most amazing music videos ever, featuring Donald Sutherland as Wilhelm Reich, Kate Bush as his son, and a steampunk-esque orgone generator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pllRW9wETzw