A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:18 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:19 pm 
New Kid

Jordan wrote:
lawjr3 wrote:
I'm certain I'm in the minority, but I am not an Emily Gordon fan. I don't think she's comedically talented, although I did enjoy her making fun of Jason on HDTGM two weeks ago...

I do believe Kumail is brilliant though. That first time he was on the show, I thought he was a delight. Jordan AND Jesse were great for this episode though.

Point one: You're wrong. Emily is hilarious and talented and one of my favorite podcasters. Even if I didn't know her personally I'd still listen to everything she was on. She may not be a stand up, but she's a great writer. A PROFESSIONAL writer. She writers for Rookie Mag, XO Jane and we wrote together for Geek and Sundry. She's the real deal.

Point two: What a shitty thing to post. Way to make everyone's day worse.

*hangs head*
I am ashamed...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:37 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

One more reason to love Rookie. As a father to two young girls, I'm so glad that website exists. At six and three, they're both still too young for it, although probably closer to pondering its topics than I want to believe.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:07 pm 
New Kid

mike wrote:
I'm just wondering when Jesse will be on The Indoor Kids, to talk about the Basketball game from 2 years ago.

I want at least an hour dedicated to NBA Street for the Gamecube.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:07 am 
Maximum Funster

LauraFound wrote:
Regardless of whether Humperdink's Busy Day is part of the canon, I think extremely weak storylines are one of the defining characteristics of Richard Scarry books. But what they lack in terms of narrative they make up for in illustrative detail. There's always more going on in the pictures than in the text, which makes the books ideal for kids learning to talk (and later, learning to read with the word books).
My advice for getting through that boring tale next time: ask Simon questions about what is going on and what he sees, or just add your own comments on the pictures (as you did on the podcast :wink: ). Of course, this makes the story longer, but it's usually worth it because the kid is bound to say something adorable. Hope I'm not coming off as a pedant -- just wanted to give some sincere advice from a long-time babysitter and former preschool teacher! :D

Good point! When I "read" Richard Scarry books with my daughter, I usually scrap the story in favor of just pointing out the funny details in the illustration. Sometimes too interactive for bedtime reading when I'm trying to calm her down, but definitely the most fun way to read the book.

-----
Also, the umbrella dog call reminded me of a similarly momentous occasion of my own (that I should have called about) from a couple years ago. Was coming out of a mall, and a light rain was coming down, and walking down the sidewalk, ever so slowly, and with a sad look on his face was a golden retriever in full raincoat (a classy plaid one if I remember right), but with no owner or leash to speak of. Most depressed looking dog I've ever seen, but in the snappiest dog raincoat I've ever seen.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:29 pm 
New Kid

Jesse, you really should find more terrible/upsetting children's books to read on the podcast, if just as a service to the public to be aware these books exist. That whole segment was absolutely hysterical.

As for a suggestion, though it's absolutely my favorite book from childhood, Margaret Wise Brown's Mister Dog has some... let's say odd moments, even for a classic Little Golden Book, that I'd love to hear your thoughts on.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:13 pm 
New Kid

sporknpork wrote:
As for a suggestion, though it's absolutely my favorite book from childhood, Margaret Wise Brown's Mister Dog has some... let's say odd moments, even for a classic Little Golden Book, that I'd love to hear your thoughts on.

Hmm, I haven't seen Mister Dog, but her Little Fur Family may be the strangest book I've ever seen. Super trippy!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:54 pm 
New Kid

celiason wrote:
Hmm, I haven't seen Mister Dog, but her Little Fur Family may be the strangest book I've ever seen. Super trippy!

I searched for Little Fur Family on Wikipedia and it looks kinda awesome! However, if the Wikipedia page is correct, Jesse should avoid any first editions of that book (so many poor little rabbits...). Also, I can't say Mister Dog is trippy, just... odd.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:41 pm 
Diamond Friendship Circle
Diamond Friendship Circle

First off, nobody anywhere can make puns anymore, because Kumail wins 4eva with "Reebarks."

Second, I wish Kumail & Emily were my best couple-friends and hung out with me all the time, except I know I can't keep up with that action, so they're better off hanging with Jordan & Jesse.

Third, I'm sad that a Richard Scarry (or even "Richard-Scarry-estate-involved") book was so awful. As a previous commenter mentioned, Scarry books aren't often strong on plot - they're more about a bewildering assortment of labelled objects, and the fun of finding Lowly Worm in his apple car. Sounds like "Humperdink's Busy Day" suffers from the same problem as the execrable Saturday-morning "Busytown Mysteries" show that always seems to be on when I turn on the TV - trying to graft a plot onto Scarry's work (which is mistake 1), and choosing one written by drunk six-year-olds (mistakes 2 and 3 - you shouldn't get six-year-olds drunk, it's irresponsible).

"Whenever I think of the heat death of the universe, I got to look at a Richard Scarry book or I start throw-up crying."
-- Weedmaster P, Overcompensating.com