Talent!
Talent!

Say goodbye to podcasting 2013.

Episode 302 MP3

Episode 302 Recap

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:53 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

The worst thing about a work party is in my experience usually about half the people there want it to be the staid stand-around-and-talk, networking/teambuilding kind of event and the other half want it to be the stupid-drunk rager, which ends up not going well for either set of people.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:38 pm 
New Kid

I worked at a movie theater in the early 2000's and the garbage juice combo of popcorn and soda creates the most worst smell ever. While listening to Emmett Hall describe it I could still smell that horrid odor.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:05 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

I might be posting this on the wrong episode, but I think this was the one where the guys discussed which kind of martial arts they would take if they could. Graham seemed genuinely interested but also seemed to be talking himself out of it. It sounded very familiar. I finally started taking Kung Fu in my late 30's and I have no delusions of being a professional fighter or assassin but I really love it. It's sort of fascinating that martial arts is usually considered a purely practical endeavor and that if you don't learn to kill a man in 3 moves then is'a waste of time. But really it's not that much different than any other physical hobby like playing basketball or hiking—you do it because it's interesting, feels really cool to do, and is a way more fun exercise than sitting on an elliptical for an hour at the gym!

I highly recommend Chinese Kung Fu, Wing Chun, or Wushu (as opposed to Karate or Akido) mainly because you will start doing cool looking shit and swinging sharp weapons around pretty quickly. Depending on the school you may or may not learn to actually fight too, but modern life really doesn't require knowing how to fight all that much as far as I can tell. MMA gyms or Jiu jitsu classes are going to be filled with dudebros with massive necks sticking out of Tapout shirts so that's probably not what you're looking for. That's way less likely to be the case in a Kung Fu school. And Vancouver has some really famous Kung Fu schools actually.