Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:24 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:50 pm 
Site Admin

How did 2013 treat action and sci-fi movie buffs? Join us as we take a look back at the good, the bad, and Kick-Ass 2. Plus, My Brother, My Brother and Me co-brother Travis McElroy joins us to ring in the new year by sharing The Movie That Made Him.

You can follow Travis on Twitter -- he's @travismcelroy.

Wham Bam Pow Ep. 38 - 2013 in Review

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:43 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Big thanks to Rhea, Ricky, Cameron, and Lindsay for a great 2013! I remember seeing the first episode in iTunes and I thought, "Hmm…well, I haven't heard of this podcast, but they're reviewing Jackie Brown (my favorite Tarantino movie) so it can't be that bad!" Little did I know that WBP would become my most listened to podcast in rotation. I genuinely look forward to it each week and I can't wait to see what 2014 brings.

My year-end picks for best movies:

Gravity
Pacific Rim (I might be the only person who agreed with Rhea about this one; all my buddies didn't seem to like it but its reach never exceeded its grasp)
Man of Steel
The World's End
Elysium (Despite it's problems…I was just glad to see Blomkamp with a blockbuster original property)

I don't really have too many dislikes/disappointments. A Good Day to Die Hard genuinely let me down and I don't think I'll ever see another Die Hard move in theaters (which saddens me). The whole movie just seemed like it was phoned in. Other than that, my only "dislikes" are that this year was propagated with sequels, prequels, spin-offs, adaptations, and remakes. I know that it's hard to tell a somewhat original story anymore, since most movies are similar in some way to a story that came before it. But the top 10 grossing films of the year just go to show that Hollywood isn't even trying anymore. And I feel the effect. When it was announced that they're remaking The Naked Gun, I shut down to it. I won't be seeing that one at all, even if it's a success. That's just cashing in on an already great franchise that didn't need a reboot. Seriously, how many people that love the Naked Gun were calling for a remake/update?

The problem is sequels/prequels/adaptations already have built-in audiences, so they're safe money. But I for one am getting really tired of the YA book adaptations. The whole "we live in a dystopian society and our only hope is a teenage 'chosen one' with a special quality" story is so played out and it's exhausting. I know every story has to have a protagonist, but THG, HP, Twilight, Divergent, The Mortal Bones, et al…they're all literally the same thing. Take a breather, Hollywood.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:37 am 
Maximum Funster

I post on the forums very rarely, but I just want to say that 'Wham Bam Pow' is great -- I really enjoyed the 2013 roundup (and the discussion with Travis McElroy about Goldeneye was really fun) and contained everything I love about the show: a sense of fun and goofiness, a willingness to get really excited about things that you like, and (on the flip side) a willingness to be very honest when something bothers you. I hope the podcast continues for many years to come!

-jwgh

ps. I know it's probably not really a dick flick, but I would enjoy hearing the team talk about the 1980 movie 'The Apple' sometime. That movie is bananas, and I really enjoyed Wham Bam Pow's discussion of another crazy movie of the era, 'Barbarella'.