Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:52 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:46 pm 
Staff

First up, Jesse’s conversation with the rapper Bubba Sparxxx. He grew up in rural Georgia and describes himself as a ‘country white boy’. His dad thought a rap career was preposterous. Bubba did it though. Jesse and Bubba talk about the rapper’s career and why it took him seven years to put out his fourth album. Later, Jesse talks to Ian MacKaye. As a member of Minor Threat and Fugazi, he made history in the punk rock world. They’ll talk about the first punk show he ever went to. Plus, Megan Mullally and Stephanie Hunt will each tell you about a piece of culture SO amazing that they wish they’d made it themselves. A couple of our pals at NPR’s Pop Culture Happy Hour share two VERY different movies on DVD that you should check out as soon as possible. And speaking of movies -- there’s something really special in theaters right now. We should celebrate it. Jesse will tell you why.

Bullseye with Jesse Thorn: Bubba Sparxxx and Ian MacKaye

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:36 pm 
New Kid

I suspect I'm probably in the minority on this, but I wish Jesse would interview more rappers.

Obviously, Bullseye can't become a rap podcast (demographic reasons aside, Jesse's vision for the show obviously goes beyond his own personal interests), but, as a fan of rap music, I like the manner in which Jesse asks his questions and, furthermore the kinds of answers he's able to get from his subjects.

I feel that I get a better and more complete insight into the creative process of the artists, in way that other rap casts (Combat Jack Radio comes to mind) doesn't really deliver.

I guess this is all by way of saying: I liked the Bubba Sparxxx interview more than the Ian McKaye one (grew up / currently play in a punk band) and am always happy when rappers show up here. Well done.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:52 am 
New Kid

I fully agree with Crookednate. And, perhaps paradoxically, I also loved that the outshot closed with Christopher Cross (featuring Michael McDonald) #yachtrock

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:08 pm 
New Kid

I have to say, I'm a big fan of Jesse interviewing rappers and talking about rap in general. He seems to come at it with an earnestness that seems hard to find from a white guy his age. He doesn't seem to be trying to prove himself as a "true" rap fan, but he's also not coming at it with some indie, hipster angle. He just seems like a fan and an interviewer doing his job. It's the same Jesse Thorn interviewing Bubba Sparxxx, or Prodigy or Stephen Merchant. I like that.

I may have to track down that full Ian MacKaye interview. It seemed kind of interesting though he seemed exactly as I would imagine him, i.e. super serious and a bit chaffing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:22 pm 
Site Admin

timbot wrote:
I may have to track down that full Ian MacKaye interview. It seemed kind of interesting though he seemed exactly as I would imagine him, i.e. super serious and a bit chaffing.

Great news! I tracked it down for you by typing "Ian MacKaye Sound of Young America" into google and clicking the first link!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:01 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

I am here to respond to the "props" "comin' at" Jesse regarding his consistently great interviews with rappers by saying "word".