Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:23 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:46 pm 
Site Admin

This week, we're plagued by a lingering sickness, but we power through to chat about Spike Jonze's sci-fi romance, Her. What does it mean when Joaquin Phoenix falls in love with an operating system?

Wham Bam Pow Ep. 39 - Her

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:49 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I think that is valid to question the motivations and past of Spike Jonz and his relationships. I think it is an interesting way to discuss aspects of this movie. However, I think that looking at the movie that way only tangentially addresses the main question of the film: What is love (baby, don't hurt me)?

It is important to remember that Samantha is not a woman. She or it is an artificial intelligence taking on the mannerisms of a woman. Like I said above, I think you can discuss how Samantha, in this movie, and Spike Jonz, outside this movie, perceive women, but this is separate topic. If you consider Samantha as a non-gendered being in a relationship with a man, I think this film filters into a more clear exploration of love.

This movie is ambitious in its attempt to question love and its limitations to two humans. Is it possible for a human to love more than one person (monogamy)? Most of us believe this to be true, but when seen from the perspective of an intelligence that is practically omnipresent, it seems that love can be more polygamous. Samantha can live a life in the pauses of our sentences. Why should she spend what must seem like years waiting for a human to think? I think there is a lot to discuss after viewing this movie and I plan on doing just that with my own friends once we've all seen it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:26 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Thank you Ricky, Rhea and Cameron for all the nice things you said about me <3 You guys are the best!!! :D

p.s. I really liked Her.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:53 pm 
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad

I fucking loved Her. I think hands down it was one of the best movies I've seen in the last 6-9 months. Ricky pretty much elaborated on all the same things I enjoyed about it so I won't reiterate everything.

I think perhaps the reason I loved this movie was my specific circumstance. My most recent relationship ended with my fiancee calling things off. After about 5 months she started dating a guy I had suspected she had been sneaking around with. This breakup really broke me and it's been difficult to try to get back into the dating game for a number of personal reasons. A lot of the emotional fears and insecurities that Theodore's character experienced really resonated with me. That's not to say after seeing this movie I'm going to start dating my Siri. But I thought it was a great exploration of a broken man discovering what it means to love another being in an age when technology made it difficult to openly approach another person. The movie was set just far enough into the future and just close enough to our present that the whole premise seemed entirely plausible.

And like Ricky said, one of the things I really loved about it was how the movie would zig when I thought it was going to zag. Whenever I thought I had it pinned down (Amy's reaction to Theodore's news, Theodore's initial split with Samantha, the ending), the movie came back and went in another direction.

As much as I understand her point, I had to disagree with Cameron about how Sam was a "baby" learning from him which made their love creepy. Yes, he is her filter for the world initially but she even mentions becoming aware of an independent desire to learn and improve herself. Even at certain points in the movie, she initiates the contact with him by calling him. So the notion that Sam was merely at Theodore's disposal to talk whenever he wanted struck me as a little off. I didn't see it at all as a Stockholm Syndrome situation. The OS was designed to be helpful and imitate a human presence, so I don't think it was a scenario where Sam empathized with Theodore only because he was her sole point of contact with the world.

Ultimately, I loved this movie and could probably discuss it for hours. But as a man, I will say I was in the same boat as Ricky in that it didn't once occur to me to look at gender roles or what the underlying meaning was that he chose a female voice. I mean, if we really wanted to get into the Bechdel test, it can be assumed that Sam, at some point communicated with another female OS off camera since we were told that even as she was speaking to Theo she was simultaneously talking to roughly 6,000 other OS's. Amy speaks to her female OS about the game at one point when Theo is still in the room, so I don't know if we do or don't qualify that. I didn't read too much into gender bias in this movie because Spike Jonze decided to tell a very, very self-contained story set against the framework of a bigger question. Maybe he could've expanded his scope to include some women's stories, but since he wrote it he probably came from a male perspective and utilized his own experiences for the story.

I look at it like anything else: sometimes there will be a woman's story front and center, and other times there will be a man's story front and center. Sometimes there will be some interplay, sometimes not. Just because a movie is out does not mean we need to always assign gender roles and look at through the scope of whether or not every person's perspective is being represented. That would make for some vanilla movies. I'm all for equality. Sometimes I think we tend to just analyze things too much.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:51 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

I haven't seen Her yet (even though it seems like it's right up my alley) so I can't speak to the quality of the movie. However, @herthemovie favorited one of my tweets, so I'm pretty famous now, guys.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:55 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I liked (not loved) Her. As a woman I did not view the relationship as one between a man and a woman, but as one between man (or a man) and technology. Theo chose a female persona, but his friend also chose female and was just as charmed by her AI as he was. I think the movie actually speaks to how basic and predictable we humans are even though we see ourselves as the most complex animal on earth.

The AIs were able to immediately make a connection with their hosts while using them to gain information about the world even without bodies. When Samantha stunned her picnic crew with a frank declarations of superiority, she was able to quickly and easily calm the hairless apes and move the conversation forward. Did she really feel love and achieve orgasm with Theo. I do not think so. I think she did what she needed to obtain information and move forward.

Overall very enjoyable and surprising at times. Hated the mustache, absence of people of color, and high-waisted pants. Loved the phone, blackout "sex" scene, and Phoenix. I give it 3.5 safety pins in the pocket :)