It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:20 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:46 pm 
Maximum Funster

Discuss!

Action Items:

Buy your battleship tickets!
Buy your SF Sketchfest tickets
Post your ideas for the 2104 theme on the MaxFun Subreddit!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:31 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I've come to really hate Cards Against Humanity and I think it's because there are basically three joke cards: gross, morally offensive, or nonsense. And none of them have any nuance or build. Andy hit on why cards Apples to Apples is better, and it's because you can argue why your card makes sense which means you can build your own joke.

-- quote from Plato stolen from Donna Tartt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:15 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

I think I'm getting some audio skipping. Anybody else, or is it just my player?

Maybe.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:22 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I can see why Jordan, as a comedy writer, might not like Cards Against Humanity since it reduces jokes to nonsense....but sometimes nonsense is fun. It gives non funny people (like myself) a chance to make people laugh. Complaining about it is the equivalent of musicians complaining that Guitar Hero or Rock Band isn't really playing music....no one is claiming that it is, and no one thinks they are naturally funny/musical just because they are playing the game.

I also think that if you're playing with the right people then they do appreciate when the cards are played properly instead of just randomly. Maybe it's just that you don't actually like the people playing the game rather than the game itself.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:03 pm 
New Kid

losergeek wrote:
I also think that if you're playing with the right people then they do appreciate when the cards are played properly instead of just randomly.

Totally. Part of the strategy and fun is figuring out the preferences of that round's judge. My friends know my sense of humor, and know that I will appreciate the answers that are clever and mean something. If I were playing with a group of people that only liked random stuff that made no sense, I can see how it wouldn't be fun.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:23 pm 
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad

losergeek wrote:
I also think that if you're playing with the right people then they do appreciate when the cards are played properly instead of just randomly. Maybe it's just that you don't actually like the people playing the game rather than the game itself.

While the group has a significant impact on a player's experience, I disagree on the grounds that Jordan's comments were on the mechanics of the game itself. Apples to Apples always had the problem of being limited by the cards in your hand. It became essential for my playgroup to houserule the ability to toss "useless" cards (I'm looking at you, "The 1950's"), otherwise you would have to throw rounds. Similarly, I never liked that it only had 1 or 2 jokes. I don't think Cards Against Humanity solved anything by suddenly turning every card into some variation of Apples to Apples' Hellen Keller card. You're still limited to the cards in your hand, making appeasing a judge frustrating (and let's be honest, there's only really one or two types of judges) and the subject matter becoming more blue doesn't help these other concerns.

A lot of my friends really enjoy those games, so I try to recommend playing a game called Say Anything, or at least houseruling its major mechanical difference into A2A or CAH - Whiteboards! Write your own answers!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:31 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I must say, the whole episode was lovely, but the chunk on "traditional jobs?" Absolutely top form, guys. All three of you should feel very good about yourselves.

Also, if you're interested in party games of the same approximate weight of an Apples or a Cards, but without the lame-prefab-jokes angle, I strongly recommend Dixit--a little more touchy-feely, but much more creative (similar gameplay, but rather than matching pre-determined nouns with pre-determined adjectives, you're matching kinda surreal and moody paintings with a sentence of a player's own creation).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:45 am 
Site Admin

HunterJE wrote:
I must say, the whole episode was lovely, but the chunk on "traditional jobs?" Absolutely top form, guys. All three of you should feel very good about yourselves.

Also, if you're interested in party games of the same approximate weight of an Apples or a Cards, but without the lame-prefab-jokes angle, I strongly recommend Dixit--a little more touchy-feely, but much more creative (similar gameplay, but rather than matching pre-determined nouns with pre-determined adjectives, you're matching kinda surreal and moody paintings with a sentence of a player's own creation).

+1 to the Dixit recommendation.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:28 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

TheFuzziestKitty wrote:
losergeek wrote:

While the group has a significant impact on a player's experience, I disagree on the grounds that Jordan's comments were on the mechanics of the game itself. Apples to Apples always had the problem of being limited by the cards in your hand. It became essential for my playgroup to houserule the ability to toss "useless" cards (I'm looking at you, "The 1950's"), otherwise you would have to throw rounds. Similarly, I never liked that it only had 1 or 2 jokes. I don't think Cards Against Humanity solved anything by suddenly turning every card into some variation of Apples to Apples' Hellen Keller card. You're still limited to the cards in your hand, making appeasing a judge frustrating (and let's be honest, there's only really one or two types of judges) and the subject matter becoming more blue doesn't help these other concerns.

A lot of my friends really enjoy those games, so I try to recommend playing a game called Say Anything, or at least houseruling its major mechanical difference into A2A or CAH - Whiteboards! Write your own answers!

I feel like there is a lot of space for comedy and being clever in Apples to Apples. And that's because most of the cards are not, inherently, funny. The comedy comes from the (deliberate) juxtaposition of the two cards played. It also helps that the best answer is not ALWAYS the funniest one. Sometimes one just fits really well or plays to a particular quirk of the judge.

(As for the Helen Keller card, I don't think that one is inherently funny. At least when I've played, you have to choose it pretty carefully or risk being too joke-y or nonsensical. That being said, my proudest A2A moment was when I played it for "touchy-feely." It works on multiple levels!)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:13 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I made some Dubstep Manatees. Please enjoy!

http://youspeakshellfish.tumblr.com/pos ... t-has-been

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:37 pm 
New Kid

With respect to "The Subway Smell", there is conflicting information: officially, and anecdotally from pals who have worked in various branches (in the UK, at least) there is no artificial "smell cartridge" or similar. However, when I was working at a trade convention in Las Vegas a few years back, I met a company who do produce such cartridges for other (granted, much less salubrious) establishments, and they assured me Subway is using something similar.

Maybe, like the disappearance of Atlantis, or the location of El Dorado, we'll never know for sure. Any other MaxFunsters with info?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:31 pm 
Maximum Funster

I played Cards Against Humanity this weekend, and one of our house traditions is spinning off description of what's in our imaginations when we put the cards together. There are ways to make the game more imaginative and less proscribed, but it definitely takes the right crowd. I can certainly see why people who are professionally funny didn't love it though.

About two or three months ago, my Mom wanted to play with my husband and I. Don't do that.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:16 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

I think I agreed with every word said about Cards Against Humanity in this episode. There's that organic moment in Apples to Apples where someone cleverly plays an inappropriate card that still works but works in a different way than expected and Cards Against Humanity tries to make a whole game out of that moment over and over but without requiring any of the players to be that clever/lucky. It reminds me of how the Family Feud with Steve Harvey became an entire half-hour of trying to recreate "Craziest Sexual Family Feud Answers!" YouTube compilations.

Jsavasaurus wrote:

That is excellent work right there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:55 pm 
New Kid

i did not make this but i felt it was a look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLGJ-LVCQrM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:01 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Jsavasaurus wrote:

Amazing.