PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:12 am 
Talent!
Talent!

What is it this time?!!

Episode 304 MP3

Episode 304 recap

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:06 pm 
New Kid

I just celebrated my Mom's 60th with a surprise birthday party at a bowling alley. The bowling was a good distraction for the grand kids & their dads, while my Mom and her sisters & friends socialized.

You guys in Canada have some strange types of bowling. We only have 10-pin bowling in the US and it's still fairly popular. Pro and amateur bowling leagues are still a popular business. Hell, Chris Hardwick ran a celeb bowling tournament on his YouTube channel! https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... B34F73F112

An entertainment venue opened in my area a few years ago that is a combo bowling alley/lazer tag/bar & grill/ticket arcade (play games for tickets to trade in for toys). It's a fairly fun venue and my company has celebrated a few company anniversaries there (they also have party rooms with catering).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:58 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

When do we get the kickstarter to gradually fly Dave Shumka around the world in a westerly direction so he can always podcast jetlagged? Because unintentional dubstep Dave was amusing as shit.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:16 pm 
Diamond Friendship Circle
Diamond Friendship Circle

Speaking of Graham's acting, any chance there'll be another installment of Wilderness Man? I would totally throw money at a Kickstarter for more of those.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:08 am 
New Kid

We "only have ten-pin bowling in the US", do we? New englanders, continuing a longstanding tradition of only vaguely acknowledging what the rest of the country is up to, fling softball-size holeless bowling balls at widely spaced, skinny pins. Ten-pin bowling, what with all those strikes, just seems a bit showy to us.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candlepin_bowling

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:41 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

My in laws did the cat freezer thing!! It was when my husband was a kid, so before my time, but they kept 2 cats in the freezer for YEARS, intending to take them out to their cabin in the woods to bury them there. It was a secondary basement freezer, so they didn't see them every day, but they were definitely next to food.

They're weird people generally but I was pretty shocked when I heard that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:11 am 
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad

elwombato wrote:
Speaking of Graham's acting, any chance there'll be another installment of Wilderness Man? I would totally throw money at a Kickstarter for more of those.

I asked Graham about the possibility of more Wilderness Man installments last May, and he kicked the question over to Josh Loewen (@joshtastic) who replied with "SOON. There might be a caribou and a greenscreen." I haven't seen any mention of it on the twitters since then. While I patiently wait for "soon" to come, I watch the one we have about once a month to keep hope alive.

jwbrockman wrote:
We "only have ten-pin bowling in the US", do we?

I took the same exception to the "[We] only have ten-pin bowling in the US" declaration when I read it. I happen to live right down the road from on of the few remaining Candlepin lanes. Even though I've never played it, we shouldn't leave out the even rarer east coast variant Duckpin Bowling.

-mals

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:32 pm 
New Kid

My apologies. I should have qualified that in Minnesota we have primarily 10-pin bowling alleys/lazer tag arenas/indoor mini golf.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:44 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

sketchyTK wrote:
My apologies. I should have qualified that in Minnesota we have primarily 10-pin bowling alleys/lazer tag arenas/indoor mini golf.

Apparently it's a Midwestern thing (I'm from chicago) because I honestly had no idea 5 pin bowling even existed. Seems lazy to me... And way less "cosmic" under black lights.