Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:44 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:46 pm 
Site Admin

This week, we take on Cherry 2000, a sci-fi movie recommended to us by comedian and former friend Kurt Braunohler. If you like Melanie Griffith and android love, you'll probably still hate this movie. Fortunately, Cameron's around to spark a light in the darkness by pitching the sequel we were all hoping would never happen: Gravity 2. Bring your thinking cap!

Wham Bam Pow Ep. 40 - Cherry 2000

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:59 pm 
New Kid

First things first, I love the show. You guys are hilarious and have made watching movies extra-fun. As I went back and listened to old episodes I found myself going and watching a number of movies that I had seen a while ago but had written off (Desperado and Jackie Brown are the main examples) and after hearing you guys talk about the back stories of the films I found a whole new appreciation for them (needless to say, I was the 19 year old guy who was severely disappointed that Jackie Brown wasn't Pulp Fiction 2, funny how getting old changes your perspective)

So, I've been trying my best to watch the movies you're going to review before the episodes come out, and Cherry 2000 is my first success (Side Effects will be #2 as I watched that a few weeks ago on a lazy Saturday.) I have to say that I pretty much agree with your review, more so Cameron and Rhea, as I just couldn't take this movie seriously enough to hate it (I mean, come on, you create a sex robot that's not waterproof? At that point it was pretty much a comedy to me.) Looking at it from that viewpoint, I found it to be enjoyable just for laughs, and as Cameron said it was useful as a kind of time capsule to remind us of how awesome we were in the 80's (I was 7 when this came out, which means that I was awesome by default)

So, in closing, keep up the great work. You guys are awesome, the show is awesome, and sex robots would be awesome if they were waterproof and smart enough to give up the search for a Pepsi after being abandoned in the desert.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:52 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I'm heading to Vegas next week for work and was looking at punk show listings for stuff to check out and saw that there is a band playing at The Dive called Cherry 2000! I consider that a good omen and will be going to that show.