Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:05 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:57 pm 
Site Admin

This week, we review Oscar nominations and revel in Gravity's nods. Plus, Rhea and Ricky pitch some new Oscar categories that will allow action and sci-fi movies to really shine, and we chat about Steven Soderbergh's 2013 medicine thriller Side Effects. Bring on the gold guys!

Wham Bam Pow Ep. 41 - Side Effects

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:59 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I would watch more thrillers if they had narrative twists like this movie. I like the idea that you don't find out till later that Jude Law is the protagonist. I definitely didn't pick up on the cinematography flares that Ricky mentioned. I really appreciate when a director can use the camera to tell story.

Side note: you guys should do The Raid Redemption

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:13 pm 
Site Admin

I mostly enjoyed this movie as a movie (although I thought it had third act problems. Full disclosure, I saw the movie after I listened to/recorded the podcast, so I knew where it was going, but the narrative felt jumbled once CZJ's role in the whole thing was revealed), but I agree with Cameron's point regarding its message about mental illness. It didn't sit well with me. I also had complicated feelings about Jude Law. On the one hand, he's Jude Law, and I kind of wanted to smooch him. On the other hand, I'm not sure how the movie wanted us to feel about him. Was he the hero? Were we supposed to like him and sympathize with him? I liked him in the beginning, but gosh, he became progressively more monstrous as the movie went on.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:22 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Tiny Lindsay wrote:
I mostly enjoyed this movie as a movie (although I thought it had third act problems. Full disclosure, I saw the movie after I listened to/recorded the podcast, so I knew where it was going, but the narrative felt jumbled once CZJ's role in the whole thing was revealed), but I agree with Cameron's point regarding its message about mental illness. It didn't sit well with me. I also had complicated feelings about Jude Law. On the one hand, he's Jude Law, and I kind of wanted to smooch him. On the other hand, I'm not sure how the movie wanted us to feel about him. Was he the hero? Were we supposed to like him and sympathize with him? I liked him in the beginning, but gosh, he became progressively more monstrous as the movie went on.

The more I think about it, the more I realize how little I care about this movie. That's probably a little to flippant. I just mean it has no lasting effect on me and I feel very objective and indifferent. (Oh man, what other vaguely insulting things will he say next?)

Regardless of my indifference, the style of story is really interesting. I do not think there is a single protagonist. All of the characters are the protagonist (except maybe Channing Tatum). I think the movie is trying tell a story with specific examples of how careless use of prescription drugs can mess everything up. First, the protagonist is Rooney Mara, but then you find out she is a murderer. Then, you side with her psychiatrist and he seems like the protagonist. But then his life falls apart and he takes revenge and that is great, Rooney Mara got her comeuppance, except the part where she has to live a horrible life as a secretly sane insane person. And as a final tag, CZJ shows up again and it turns out she's in love with the insane sane person.

What do all these people have in common? They're all messed up; they're all sad; they're all done. One by one a new protagonist is brought up then smashed down. It's interesting because they are all weaved into one story. It's not much more than a morality tale on the perils of prescription drugs. I don't think any of this is revelatory, but I think it is an interesting way to weave a tale.