Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:50 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:22 pm 
Maximum Funster

Discuss!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:58 am 
New Kid

I, for one, thought it went swimmingly. I won a hat!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:14 pm 
Maximum Funster

Great episode, I love Eliza Skinner & Dana Gould both, they bantered really well with Jordan and Jesse.

What sort of weird place are you going to record live from next? Maybe there's some sort of esoteric taxidermy facility that you could use.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:37 pm 
Site Admin

Shannon.Patterson wrote:
Great episode, I love Eliza Skinner & Dana Gould both, they bantered really well with Jordan and Jesse.

What sort of weird place are you going to record live from next? Maybe there's some sort of esoteric taxidermy facility that you could use.

Deyrolle?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:24 am 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:51 am 
New Kid

I believe you will find that the popular Disney animated film where the mother doesn't die is Dumbo. Or else 101 Dalmatians. Or Peter Pan, though I kind of hate that one. Or The Aristocats, though I'll grant that that's stretching the definition of "popular." I like it, though. Or, more recently, The Lion King. Or Mulan. Or The Princess and the Frog. To tell the truth, I think there are probably rather fewer where the mother DOES die, if you don't count pre-dead mothers.

Sorry, I fear I may be one of those adults Disney nerds. But the idea of going on a "Disney cruise" is as horrifying to me as it is to ANY normal person.

UPDATE: edited out part of the comment that, after reading Xyloart's thing, I realized was implicitly fatphobic. Sorry about that.

Last edited by GeoX on Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:49 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Love Disney World, have lots of Disney nerd friends, aaaand I'm obese. Sorry for existing I guess? :( The Disney cruises don't appeal to me so much though because of the kid to adult ratio. I like regular cruises. Disney World the kids have plenty of room to do their own thing as opposed to being corralled on a ship...

The End

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:59 am 
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad

I have family members who are Disney nerds but have never been able to categorize them until now. Also, I take no joy in his misery but Dana Gould has become funnier than I could possibly imagine since his divorce. And he was already super funny to begin with.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:45 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Great ep!

Re: Disney - any other Jews here raised with a notable absence of Disney shit due to Uncle Walt's somewhat shady views regarding the Tribe? None of it is part of my pop cultural DNA as a result. I did, however, enjoy watching a bootleg copy of Disney's long-sequestered, signature racist film, Song of the South while I was very stoned back in the day, and having my brain nearly explode. Good times.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:55 pm 
Maximum Funster

I agree that Dana Gould is funnier since his divorce. That being said, I don't like his divorce jokes. They feel like 80s comedians who ragged on their wives. Listening back on this episode, none of them are cruel towards his ex, and I don't feel like he's sexist or anything like that. I don't know why I feel this way.

I doubt that it has anything at all to do with Dana, I suspect it's just personal taste.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:54 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Didn't know anything about I Frankenstein going into this. Now I severely want to watch it.

This is my internet
These are my twits

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:32 pm 
New Kid

Did Eliza & Dana get screener DVDs of Labor Day or do they know of some secret LA theater where they release movies a week before they come out in theaters?

Also, I think Dana Gould told the submarine panic attack story on Stop Podcasting Yourself a while ago and went into more details on SPY. http://maximumfun.org/stop-podcasting-y ... dana-gould

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:37 pm 
New Kid

Michael Doomberg wrote:
Great ep!

Re: Disney - any other Jews here raised with a notable absence of Disney shit due to Uncle Walt's somewhat shady views regarding the Tribe? None of it is part of my pop cultural DNA as a result. I did, however, enjoy watching a bootleg copy of Disney's long-sequestered, signature racist film, Song of the South while I was very stoned back in the day, and having my brain nearly explode. Good times.

My family was totally into Disney and went to Disneyland often. However, my mom banned the family from going to Knott's Berry Farm because growing up, she understood Walter Knott to be anti-semitic. I'm not totally sure why that is where she drew the line!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:31 pm 
New Kid

Re Song of the South…now, there's no defending this movie on the merits. Not only is it incredibly racially problematic (the second time I saw it, as an adult, there were parts that made me seriously angry), but it's not even good if you can look beyond that; the writing is no great shakes, and all of the child actors are unspeakably horrible. About the only good things you can say about the movie are that the animation's pretty good, and that James Baskett was a fine actor whose premature death was a great loss.

However, I don't think it's unreasonable to put things in perspective: the film is very clearly obliviously rather than maliciously racist, and more to the point, there is absolutely nothing in there that's at all outside the popular mainstream of the time. That doesn't mean the mainstream was okay, but it does make the film totally unremarkable in and of itself. It's achieved its infamy for two reasons: first, because of the studio's own inept handling of it, in which they treated it, and continue to treat it, like a dirty little secret, naturally provoking interest; and, second, because we just tend to like the idea of people with reputations for squeaky-clean wholesomeness having a Dark Side. It's the same reason for all those dumb urban legends about Fred Rogers (though unlike Mr. Rogers, Mr. Disney was certainly no living saint), and it's also why people tend to blow accounts of Disney's purported anti-Semitism (which is based on pretty circumstantial evidence) far out of proportion.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:15 pm 

Xyloart wrote:
Love Disney World, have lots of Disney nerd friends, aaaand I'm obese. Sorry for existing I guess? :(

Yeah, this made me super uncomfortable. Funny show overall, but...ick, Dana, ick.