A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:11 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sawbones: Leprosy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:33 pm 
Talent!
Talent!

Biblical stories are chock full of people cured of leprosy, but what about the 99.9999% of the leprosy-havers that weren't lucky enough to come across a miracle worker? As you might have imagined if you've listened to our show before, things ... didn't go so well. This week on Sawbones, Dr. Sydnee and Justin walk you through the unfortunate history of leprosy.

Download MP3

Post subject: Re: Sawbones: Leprosy
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:00 am 
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad

OMG I AM SO EXCITED.

I HAVE NOT HEARD IT AND I AM SO EXCITED.

Also, I have all these "the history of [disease]" ideas on the Stuff You Missed in History Class idea list and I think I will table them all in favor of Sawbones doing them eventually.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:15 pm 
New Kid

SUCH a great episode! I have officially renamed my pet (foam rubber) armadillo Caleb.

Justin seemed to suspect that Sydnee made up the concept of the natural reservoir: If I may, I wish to back her up by humbly submitting a song I recorded in 2011, suspiciously titled "Natural Reservoir."

I've uploaded the mp3 along with this message, BUT just in case: http://www.starforts.com/blip/natural_reservoir.mp3

This is part of a slightly-difficult-to-listen-to rock opera that I composed and recorded (on my iPod) about the Ebola virus.

Thanks so much for Sawbones. I now eagerly look forward to Tuesdays for the first time in my life!

-William

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:15 pm 
New Kid

Another great episode of Sawbones! It reminded me of two books related to the subject that might be of interest.

The first is Anatomy of an Illness: As Perceived by the Patient by Norman Cousins. It's mostly about the author's personal experience dealing with the physical pain and emotional strain of a life-threatening illness, which is a fascinating medical topic of its own, but there is also an in-depth chapter about Drs. Paul and Margaret Brand who made major advancements in the treatment of leprosy. Incredibly interesting.

The second is In the Sanctuary of Outcasts by Neil White. It's a memoir about the author's incarceration (for bank fraud) at Carville, the the last leper colony in mainland America, which Sydnee mentioned in the show. Near the end of its existence Carville was both a leper colony and a minimum security prison. The author describes his interactions with the patients who lived there and how the experience changed him.

I'm sure there are many more excellent books and documentaries on the subject, but these are just two that have stuck with me and I thought listeners might want to check them out. Really compelling topic!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:11 am 
New Kid

I was extremely confused by this episode. I had it from a very reliable source that reindeer cause leprosy. I do not understand how this can have been left out of this podcast!

Please explain. :(

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:13 am 
Maximum Funster

bilgoat wrote a rock opera about ebola? can this be the next episode please?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:37 pm 
New Kid

I do not know if this is urban legend or truth, but I have read that the idea that leprosy caused body parts to fall off was rooted in the fact (?) that sometimes, given the unsanitary conditions that often prevailed in the middle ages, rats would eat the fingers or toes of sleeping people who, because of the lack of feeling caused by the disease, would be unaware it was happening. Again, I have no idea if this is true.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:58 am 

Betsy wrote:
I was extremely confused by this episode. I had it from a very reliable source that reindeer cause leprosy. I do not understand how this can have been left out of this podcast!

Please explain. :(

Googling "reindeer" and "leprosy" together turns up plenty of results, but zero of them are about reindeer causing leprosy. Your source may have been mistaken.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:16 pm 
New Kid

@Betsy:

The brothers McElroy let us down this time.