Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:43 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:01 pm 
Staff

John files suit against his son Quin, a video game enthusiast.

Judge John Hodgman Episode 146: Command Quit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:47 pm 
New Kid

I am John Reeves – I am the Dad in this case. I did not present evidence, but did have an issue outline that didn’t make the site, so I will give you the below. I would to thank Judge Hodgman, Jesse, & the team for hearing my case. That said, I would suggest in the future “an appeals court” case of this same case possibly with a celebrity prosecutor because I lacked the necessary tenacity and talent. In the meantime I accept judgement.

The below link is provided if you want to see Quin from the short kickstarter video referenced in the Command Quit podcast, this is not from the original long elaborate kickstarter video because I changed it shortly before it failed – just cutting my losses I guess, I re-used some of his footage in the current different kickstarter video show below. His Bro & Mom & Hound (Also me & a guest star Riley the Puggle) are in it also. The character he plays is from a popular Freaker kickstarter video, the original video was more extensive: (This is not buzz marketing because it is truly a horrible video for a project most likely destined to fail. I suggest you donate a dollar just to taunt me! There is a $1 option – just for that purpose.)
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cd ... ced-memory

A link to the band Rukuss that Quin is part of, the best original is “Inside Out”, but I don’t know if its on that site because the haven’t updated it in a while. Band members have changed, etc.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rukuss/222621484415589

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:05 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

1. I’m very glad Jordan wasn’t a guest witness in this case, because he would have had much to say at the opening. Jesse’s Dig Dug error had all of his favorite things.
-a multiverse, the Dig Dug-a-verse (the Dig Dug, Baraduke, and Mister Driller series all take place in the same world)
-a hilariously convoluted backstory (his name is Taizo Hori, he is totally divorced from Baraduke lady, and the later games in the series have him trying to pay child support for his Mister Driller kids)
-a team-up (the http://namco.wikia.com/wiki/Driller_Council Driller Council, which is kind of like the astronauts in Armageddon except not in space)

I will leave the "Mister Doh/Doo" issue alone, despite Hodgeman going on about pronunciation this VERY EPISODE.

2. I’m surprised that Judge Hodgeman didn’t ask him to break down the systems within his 2 favorite games, which could tell him whether he’s playing the game passively or actively. Granted, being able to understand a thing is of little use if you don’t apply to other aspects of your life (I’d say the same of growing food or knowing Shakespeare), but being able to understand complex systems while doing a task is a great, unscientific way to determine how well one learns at work (where you have tasks to do immediately while comprehending and making more efficient the systems controlling your tasks).

3. I’m not sure the ruling was spot-on, but it was typically moving. Good job, all!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:58 pm 
Maximum Funster

Now for a fight between a "casual" gamer and a console gamer to complete the video game trifecta.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:24 am 
New Kid

Shannon.Patterson wrote:
Now for a fight between a "casual" gamer and a console gamer to complete the video game trifecta.

Hi, John - the Dad, again. I wouldn't think casual should be associated with PC gaming, his brother is more of a console gamer and I would consider him the more casual gamer of the two. Some serious hours have been put in on the PC, more than casual. I am kind of an entrepreneurial guy, I would prefer Quin to get a job over gaming, but I would prefer him engaging in an activity that he is interested in that at least has a "potential" of some sort of financial payoff over just getting a job. The world has become flat, the younger generation had better get on their horse at an early age because it will be harder for them to compete than the generation before them - you will be competing against desperate people on a pretty much even playing field and that will be a tough fight. After the court case I mentioned to Quin that he might as well enter his team in a Doda 2 Tournament, the one thing about that game is that it has the highest tourney payout in the world - 2.5 Million Dollars, although your odds of winning are probably about the same as winning the lottery, I just like the line of thinking of at least having some financial incentives involved.