Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:54 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:58 pm 
Site Admin

This week, we reflect on recent happenings in the movie world, Rhea and Ricky pitch the next great 80s toy inspired blockbuster, and we chat about Ninja II, a movie with some good punching and basically nothing else.

Wham Bam Pow Ep. 42 - Ninja II: Shadow of a Tear

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:33 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

This was a pretty tough one. I definitely fell asleep during this one. It's not good when a movie gets super boring 45 minutes in. But, unlike Cameron, I watched the rest of it later. BECAUSE I HAVE CONVICTION! NINJAS WITH GRENADES!

But I did enjoy the fight scenes. Similar to what Rhea and Ricky talked about, it's not very often you see fight scenes in wide shot these days. Very capable choreography with clear perspective all the time. They used the slow motion a little too much towards the end, but it did grab my attention during the first few uses. That bar scene where he was just throwing guys around was pretty great.

I think my least favorite part of the story was the forced betrayal at the end. I know they technically seeded hints in during the first part of the movie, but it just added an extra 15 minutes to the end. It would have been more effective to have the Ninja just go on a killing spree for the sake of revenge.

The rest of this episode was great. So many great riffs. Still waiting for those Hit Stix tracks. I really enjoy any episode where all three of them just riff for like five minutes. I wish there was a way to integrate the riffing and the movie review more seamlessly. It would be cool for this to become like How Did This Get Made?, but not with just crappy movies. I don't think the format of HDTGM allows serious talk about movies in the way that Wham Bam Pow does, but I feel a major strength of this show is how funny Rhea, Ricky, and Cameron are.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:17 pm 
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad

I guess maybe my love of bad movies saved this one. I genuinely enjoyed Ninja 2. Not because it was a quality movie, but because it tried to take itself seriously and the acting/writing was horrible. I wasn't necessarily in awe of it, but it held my attention. I've found I'm usually firmly in either Ricky or Rhea's camp when it comes to verdicts. Had to agree with Ricky on this oneā€¦it was kind of stupid fun. I mean, I'd never heard of the first Ninja movie, so when they announced we'd be watching Ninja 2: Shadow of a Tear, I knew we were in for a treat.

Honestly, the only major thing that stuck out to me while watching the movie was it's use of flashbacks. They relied way too heavily on them, but there again, it's the mark of a bad movie.

And as a P.S.-I think Ricky and Rhea's whole bit about being constantly demoted despite having multiple pitched movie posters not the wall is one of the funniest bits they've ever done.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:06 am 
New Kid

This is the second movie that I've just happened to watch before you guys announce it. This one I picked because it popped up on netflix and I love ninjas....yeah, I'm that awesome.

I pretty much agree with all of the sentiments in the reviews...terrible story, boring throughout most of the movie, but goddamn the fight scenes are great.

One thing that struck me during the episode is that Cameron gave this a rating as bad as Kickass 2...I know this was a bad movie, but it seems that at least you weren't morally opposed to it!

Either way, keep of the great work, I'm going to catch Gravity in 3D Imax tomorrow purely due to your recommendations! (and the fact that it got nominated for so many Oscars that it got re-released)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:32 pm 
Site Admin

I will never stop laughing at Cameron's "Transhomers: robots in your home" jingle.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:06 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Tiny Lindsay wrote:
I will never stop laughing at Cameron's "Transhomers: robots in your home" jingle.

42:17 for those interested in re-living the hilarity.

Autobots wage battle to defeat the evil forces of . . . the-a-part-a-ments

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:30 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

What a great I-hated-the-movie rant. I wish it had continued lol!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:28 pm 

I am a little confused by forum members' mixed reaction to this movie. Is there consensus what the best ninja movie is?

I saw as a little kid something called "Super Ninjas" on TV once and have never been able to find it since. Perhaps I remember it so fondly because I was a kid at the time?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:22 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Zombiebabies wrote:
I am a little confused by forum members' mixed reaction to this movie. Is there consensus what the best ninja movie is?

I saw as a little kid something called "Super Ninjas" on TV once and have never been able to find it since. Perhaps I remember it so fondly because I was a kid at the time?

I'm not really a ninja movie connoisseur, but I did watch 3 Ninjas a lot as a child. Can't say that Rocky, Colt, and Tum-tum were great ninjas though. As far as martial arts in movies go, this was far from the best, but way better than it could have been.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:24 am 

Oh... ninja turtles!