Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:40 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:46 pm 
Staff

Biz and Theresa navigate the judgey minefield of sleep training and barely escape with our lives, plus Theresa goes to a Mommy-and-Me movie and Biz lets Katherine Belle watch a movie NOT made for 4-year-olds. And, we get professional help from pediatric sleep expert Jodi Mindell!

Episode 43: Sleep Training

What did you do? We promise not to judge.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:04 pm 
Talent!
Talent!

Just wanted to say I loved this episode! The sleep expert was great, and Theresa and Biz were in fine form...x

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:48 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Oh, man. Your fail this week had me laughing out loud on my commute, Theresa. I love that you just fed him the sandwich anyway.

We ended up sleep training at about 10 months, because I just COULD NOT TAKE IT ANYMORE. My son was still waking every 2 hours to nurse, I was working full time outside the home and I was just a complete freaking zombie. I fought and fought the idea of sleep training because he'd been in our room up until about 8 months and we are very attachment-y, but no one was benefiting from the situation so we had to make a change.

I read every sleep book and article imaginable (I'm a librarian, it's what I do) and went with Ferber, although I never let my son cry longer than 5 minutes at a time before I went in to comfort him for a moment. The first night super sucked, with about 45 minutes of crying. The next night was about 25 minutes, and the third night he was pretty much out on his own right away. We've had some backsliding here and there, especially when he was still nursing and would get sick, but the kid sleeps 90% of the time in his own bed for 11 straight hours. I don't think I destroyed his psyche too much, but I guess I'll find out when he's 30 and in therapy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:06 pm 
Talent!
Talent!

If it makes you sleep-trainers feel better, I feel roaring crushing guilt for never getting my daughter into a day routine because honestly I'd rather go for a walk with a buggy at some unspecified time during the day, than wrestle with her in her own bed at a particular time. She sleeps, I get some exercise, the chores get done.

I thought I was pretty damn cool about it, til I told a friend who used the word 'priorities'* and I burst into tears.

*(as in 'some people's priorities are different, mine, for instance, are for my baby's development rather than galivanting around town buying trinkets and baubles'')

In summary - lets all never use the word 'priorities' about each others babies.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:24 pm 
Staff

Mary Toft wrote:
Just wanted to say I loved this episode! The sleep expert was great, and Theresa and Biz were in fine form...x

Hey thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:34 pm 
Staff

Mary Toft wrote:
...I'd rather go for a walk with a buggy at some unspecified time during the day, than wrestle with her in her own bed at a particular time...

I totally get this. The hardest thing about the sleep training thing for me is that, especially while you're getting your child used to a schedule, YOU YOURSELF have to be on that same schedule. Generally I am someone who enjoys having a schedule but it gets a little ridiculous when you feel you can't go for a walk or drive somewhere because your kid will fall asleep in the car or the stroller and "throw everything off." That's why I think you kind of have to approach the whole thing with a "let's be reasonable!" kind of attitude. I, too, find walking to be key to my sanity, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that taking *priority* over your baby napping every single nap in the freakin' crib!

Mary Toft wrote:

Agreed! Just another thing to add to the list!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:37 pm 
Staff

readingjag wrote:
Oh, man. Your fail this week had me laughing out loud on my commute, Theresa. I love that you just fed him the sandwich anyway.

Thank you, thank you.

readingjag wrote:
We ended up sleep training at about 10 months, because I just COULD NOT TAKE IT ANYMORE. ...I fought and fought the idea of sleep training because he'd been in our room up until about 8 months and we are very attachment-y, but no one was benefiting from the situation so we had to make a change.

GOOD JOB.

readingjag wrote:
I don't think I destroyed his psyche too much, but I guess I'll find out when he's 30 and in therapy.

Right. Like everything we do as parents, though, right??

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:57 am 
Talent!
Talent!

Mary Toft wrote:
If it makes you sleep-trainers feel better, I feel roaring crushing guilt for never getting my daughter into a day routine because honestly I'd rather go for a walk with a buggy at some unspecified time during the day, than wrestle with her in her own bed at a particular time. She sleeps, I get some exercise, the chores get done.

I thought I was pretty damn cool about it, til I told a friend who used the word 'priorities'* and I burst into tears.

*(as in 'some people's priorities are different, mine, for instance, are for my baby's development rather than galivanting around town buying trinkets and baubles'')

You know, with number 2 we are trying but it isn't as easy and I look at all my friends who didn't do a rigorous "training" or at least it didn't seem that way and I'd see them and their kids up at weird hours and out on the town all the time and now 4 years later the kids seem totally fine. Somehow this calms me when I realize we won't get to be as strict about a schedule with Ellis since we have an older child.