Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:42 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:08 pm 
New Kid

Christine brings the case against her cousin Lara. Christine lives in Philadelphia, Lara lives in Raleigh. Christine says the two cities aren't comparable, and Philadelphia is clearly the superior city. Lara disagrees. Who's right? Who's wrong?
Judge John Hodgman Episode 147: A Trial of Two Cities

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:45 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I think Lara caught an unearned amount of shit for defending her city, something required by the premise of the show.

I have friends that sometimes talk about how much of a better city Philadelphia is than Omaha, where I live. I'm very saddened that the judge has awarded a victory to someone who appears to go to other peoples' cities and roll their eyes at everything.

Edit: this reads as harsher than I meant, sorry. This was, as always, a funny and enjoyable episode. :)

-- quote from Plato stolen from Donna Tartt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:24 pm 
New Kid

i was excited to see jon wurster was the guest. its always weird to hear him when hes not playing a character. what a nice guy. there could have been two expert witnesses - philly boy roy and maurice kern, repping the south and citizens for a true democracy.

i am from philly, but i lived in the south and now i live in another country. phillys food selection is better and theres a lot more variety, and theres tons to do outside the city and its close to ny and all that. But if you are content with bbq and southern food, and it IS awesome, then i would def opt for raleigh. is raleigh safe? because philly is most def not safe. if you can have a yard in raleigh, the part from raleigh should have just stressed that. a yard and a dog sounds awesome. i am an idiot, this is the same thing the judge said, basically. They have different priorities and diff outlooks, i would have liked to hear them explore this more. also.

I have a zipperhead story. i bought a studded belt there in high school, and the guy at the counter was like "do you want a bag?" and i said sarcastically "ill just wear it, you know around my waist but not through the loops" and he said "thats what the kids do". This was not a good story. This was the 90s and people did wear extra belts. it looked way better through the loops, or not having it on at all is probably best.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:49 pm 
New Kid

I found it interesting that the Judge brought up how the Mutter museum owned a death cast of Chang and Eng Bunker, who actually are from North Carolina. In fact, according to wikipedia, UNC-Chapel Hill (not far from Raleigh) has some of their personal effects as well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:37 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

This was one of the best episodes in a long while! I prefer the cases where his honor is making a universal judgment call (ie "is a machine gun a robot", "the worst Beatles album") to solving a dispute about one person's behavior.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:40 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

So, probably no point in submitting the case about getting my in-laws to move from Durham to Pittsburgh anymore, I guess?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:17 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Go for it-- maybe it'll make it onto the docket clearing!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:21 pm 
New Kid

I was somewhat dismayed (although heartened that the judge pointed out) that the items offered in defense of Raleigh were not Raleigh-based:

- New Belgium's distribution center is opening in Asheville (4 hours west of Raleigh).
- The mountains are at least 3 hours west of Raleigh.
- Eastern NC BBQ is available anywhere east of the mountains.

As a NC native (in Durham, from Asheville), I know there are aspects to Raleigh that are desirable (healthcare! tech industry! education! all of these things lead to pretty cool things going on), but the defense offered was lackluster (and a little disingenuous?). That said, Moral Mondays are the best.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:16 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Quote:
I think Lara caught an unearned amount of shit for defending her city, something required by the premise of the show.

Right? Everyone on the show was attacking her city. Her options were defense or acquiescence. I was at a hockey game a couple of weeks ago where the goalie was being totally defensive all the time, too, but I didn't really blame him. It was kind of his role.