Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:13 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:16 pm 
Talent!
Talent!

You wouldn't think that we'd find a way to oppress a minority separated from the majority only by which hand they use to eat steak, but you'd be wrong. This week, Dr. Sydnee and Justin walk you through the shameful history of left-handedness.

Download MP3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:16 pm 
New Kid

Justin asked how easy it is to learn to use things right handed.

My handwriting is incomprehensible already, so I have never tried that. For most things, I just do them right handed. I assume it's harder for some than others, but I throw a ball right handed because that's the glove I had when I was a kid, which was my father's glove otherwise it wouldn't have been the first glove I had. I think the idea was, we would see if I took to it and get a proper glove if I didn't, but as a lefty, I figured out pretty quick how everything else was going to go down. Right handed scissors (you can't see the cutting line), right handed desks (this contributes why my handwriting is so poor)... hand goes through what you just wrote on the white board.

Sometimes you'll find a right handed liquid pitcher. Those are infuriating, because someone specifically had to go through the thought process of how a right handed person would use it, and make it that way. Those are pretty rare, but right handed ladles are a lot more common. Can you put a little spigot on both sides, please?

I reach for a lot of things right handed because guess which side the toilet paper has been placed on, where are the drawers built into your desk, which side does your refrigerator door end up on when you open it? Your microwave opens the other way, of course, so they can put the buttons on the right.

Take a look at a chainsaw, or most circular saws. I really don't remember if learning to do it was hard, because I learned to do it before I even had the chance to pick up a powerful finger hazard.

But hey, I'm good at picking up spares in bowling, because I throw a baseball right, so I throw the bowling ball right, and it's really easy to learn how to bowl left pick up the hard spares. So there's that. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:29 am 
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad

Someone told me a kid left handed people die younger because it's on the same side of your body as your heart. The stress and proximity. That comment really messed me up for a few years.

http://nullifries.tumblr.com/post/98784 ... in-weekend