Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:08 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:57 pm 
Site Admin

This week, we remember Harold Ramis and some of his greatest works, recast a few of our favorite films with women, and deconstruct the 2010, low-budget, sci-fi flick Monsters. Plus, catch some spot-on Godzilla impressions!

Wham Bam Pow Ep. 44 - Monsters

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:25 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

This movie had a really interesting tone and slow pace, which was actually quite entertaining to watch. As each scene progressed, questions kept stacking up in my mind and it actually started to pull me into the world. Side note: the monster warning signs added a lot. However, with all this build up, there was no payoff. I think Cameron mentioned this. If there had been a plot payoff, then this would have been an amazing movie.

I think a perfect example of this is the bandage on her hand at the beginning. They put a lot of shots focusing on her hand and how she takes care of it. What is she covering up? Is she infected? Is she going to explode like Lizzy Caplan in Cloverfield? No. It turns out she is just hiding her engagement ring which doesn't even matter because they have a normal conversation about her engagement anyway. There is no reason to hide the ring.

As for their chemistry, I agree. It was not that great. On the wikipedia page, it says that they were actually dating at the time, which is weird because they didn't act like it. So awkward.