Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:55 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:50 pm 
Staff

This week, Biz and Theresa go there...to talk about the scariest place a parent can find themselves, the place where frustration can take us when dealing with our children (and it ain’t Chuck E Cheese).

Plus, 4-year-olds and pinatas and "Momming-Up" for days with your kids when your partner goes out of town. We also talk unexpected pregnancies and how to rock them with Tracy Moore, Jezebel contributor and author of Oops! How to Rock the Mother of All Surprises.

Episode 48: Mom Rage

Have you ever lost it with your kids?

What do you do when you feel yourself nearing the edge? How do you pull yourself back?

Please share and discuss!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:52 pm 
Diamond Friendship Circle
Diamond Friendship Circle

I'm a dad of three kids aged 3, 5 and 12. Up until a few months ago, my wife was working 2nd shift, and I was working 1st shift so that we could save on not paying for daycare.

So, for me, it's up at 4am, get home and relieve my wife at 3, cook dinner, get kids settled down, clean up and then find I'm at 9pm or so. My wife would admit that I was getting the short end of the stick, because I would be getting them at the golden hour of them being overtired, but not ready for bed.

The 3 and 5 year old enable each other to get into trouble and/or annoy me. When we were at our busiest, I was a constant picture of fatigue and stress. The kids just seem to be able to jump on this weakness, like a lion jumping on the lame Wildebeest. When they would push me the most, the stress would build and build. It's hard, because I'd really not have any relief. I think what makes it worse for me is that lately, my big anxiety trigger is noise. So, their running all around the house, playing and yelling, just didn't help me feel any calmer.

What would save me would throwing myself into cooking dinner, or washing the dishes, things that would let me just cool down, and think that even though they are being total jerks to me, I still love my kids. I think that's why I like social media, especially Twitter. I can have a moment to blow off steam on there, and then get back to business with my kids. I find it better than calling my wife when she's at work, to say how bad of a night I was having, because then I'd feel worse because I'd make her feel bad for being at work.

This is a great show, keep up the great work!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:12 am 
Staff

CookiesForChemists, thank you for sharing. And may I say: YOU are doing a GREAT job.

Also, not calling your wife is a nice genius moment, I think. I'm always tempted to call my husband because it seems like he'd be the best person to complain to, but somehow it always just makes the partner who isn't there feel bad too, and then everyone feels bad. Good call finding other outlets for that when you can.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:16 pm 
New Kid

Oh goodness, this show was so necessary. I thought I would be the perfect mother and never yell at my kids but I just didn't realize that kids can be such assholes! It's like that cute card that was going around a ways back - you're making it difficult for me to be the parent I always imagined I would be!

http://www.someecards.com/usercards/vie ... RkNTY5YjBi

I don't believe in hitting my kids either but I totally (sort-of, mostly) get why people do it, and it's such BS that it comes from a place of love or whatever. it totally comes from a place of "oh my god I can't take one more minute of this".

the worst was when my son was doing something really bad and I can't even remember what but when I told him to stop he laughed at me in a truly demonic way and it pushed me right over the edge. I made him go to his room for a time out but I have no problem saying the time out was for me! that's generally how I cope - if they are being too terrible I send them to their room so I can get a minute to calm down.

Love the show, love you ladies and you are both doing such a great job!

xo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:10 pm 
Staff

erbera wrote:
I don't believe in hitting my kids either but I totally (sort-of, mostly) get why people do it, and it's such BS that it comes from a place of love or whatever. it totally comes from a place of "oh my god I can't take one more minute of this".

That is such a good point.

erbera wrote:
that's generally how I cope - if they are being too terrible I send them to their room so I can get a minute to calm down.

xo

Good job to you too! And thank you!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:10 pm 
Staff

erbera wrote:

That is such a good point.

erbera wrote:
that's generally how I cope - if they are being too terrible I send them to their room so I can get a minute to calm down.

xo

Good job to you too! And thank you!!