Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:15 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:59 pm 
Staff

A couple clashes over pet ownership. She wants a dog, he wants a cat. Who RULES and who DROOLS?

Judge John Hodgman Ep. 152: Arraigning Cats and Dogs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:50 pm 
Maximum Funster

I now need these nightmare Corgiville books

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:36 pm 
New Kid

We've had three cats who LOVE kids and one who HATED babies and avoided them. One of these cats is absolutely devoted to our young "cat of the human world". Another one thought children are something to herd (some cats think they're dogs, fetching and herding). And we cared for the cats just as much after our hairless cat was born because we are responsible people.

And we are not crazy cat people. No calendars, bumper stickers or "hang in there" kitten posters

Reconsider a cat.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:46 pm 
New Kid

Presenting evidence that corgis can hike as well as any human.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na2KqzvGj6g&feature=youtu.be

Like Tyler, I was very reluctant to have a dog in our household. My daughter worked on me for seven years with her desire to have a dog. I declared that if our family got a dog, it would not be my responsibility. It would not be MY dog. I would have nothing to do with it.

About ten minutes after we brought Mochi home, I declared loudly, "I LOVE THIS DOG." And Mochi has been my companion ever since.

Mochi was acquired from a very reputable breeder. She can hike over any obstacle that I can get over without using my hands. She has been rattlesnake trained for hiking in the mountains around Los Angeles and she has been able to accompany me on some of my more grueling hikes without any sign of tiring. In fact, after bringing her home from six to seven mile hikes, she is ready to play Frisbee or ball.

While I understand Jesse's concerns about breeder's and commend his loyalty to acquiring rescue dogs (which we also support) there are some benefits to getting a dog from a reputable breeder. One benefit to acquiring a dog from a good breeder is that you can raise the dog from a puppy and the training can be enormously easier. Raising a dog from a puppy also increases the attachment and ability to easily handle the dog as they grow. We chose a corgi after our trainer recommended the breed for the type of family and family activities we engage in. When they are properly trained, dogs can hang out in a house all day without humans around and be perfectly content. They know you will return.

Though corgis are bred for sheep herding, they are one of the best dogs available. They love to play, but they can also hang out in the house all day without people around. In their prime they rugged and athletic. They are bred to herd and they will exhibit these traits, but with proper training (as all dogs should have) they will learn to not engage in any negative or unwanted behavior.

Last edited by mkword on Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:07 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I travel a lot for my job and I must say that a dog can wear our it's welcome sooner than a cat (and my dog is extremely laid back). With a cat one can leave it in a house for a week with extra food, litter box and a couple drop ins by friends. Travel, run around town and wait to get a dog.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:51 pm 
New Kid

I had to chime in about the rescue dogs vs. dogs from a **reputable** breeder topic, as well. Only because I really, really, really grappled with this when we (my fiance and I) were choosing a dog. Originally, I assumed that we would just head on over to the SPCA, pick out the one with the handsomest smile, and live happily ever after. The end. But my (very logical, often wise) finance pointed out that our life style is fairly fixed. We live in a city in a tiny apartment. We work certain hours. Have certain activities we enjoy. Essentially, we have a life that we've already crafted and signed up for. What he DIDN'T want (fairly), was a dog that would require us to dramatically change our day-to-day lives (that we LIKE), but instead, wanted to be able to choose a dog that would fit into the lives that we already have.

I really struggled with the decision. The SPCA is on top of my list of organizations that I support. I think puppy mills are repugnant. Arghargh! (Had we been listeners of JJHO at the time, this might have warranted litigation!)

In the end, we chose to work with a breeder to get our dog. We looked long and hard for someone who we felt was truly looking out for the best interest of the dogs she bred. (We're still in touch with her. She was wonderful. She breeds one litter a year, raises them in her home, and is really concerned with breeding happy, healthy dogs.)

People can be really snarky about this issue. I've had people at the dog park make comments because my dog isn't a rescue. And I just smile. They have no idea the tears and hand-wringing that went into the decision. We wanted the right dog for us. The right dog for our situation. Ultimately, we have a happy dog who was instantly fitted into our lives. And we couldn't be happier.

(Steps down off of soap box ... )

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:12 pm 
New Kid

Also, if you want to get a specific breed of dog --

You can find groups that rescue all sorts of breeds.

If you want to buy from a breeder, consider helping rescue dogs by doing one or more of the following:

1) Sponsor an adoption -- that is, pay the adoption fees for someone who wants to adopt a dog but can't afford the initial costs. Many rescue organizations can arrange a sponsorship.

2) Donate generously to a good local rescue organization.

Check with a reputable trainer before buying from a breeder. You should buy a dog from a breeder only if that breeder meets certain standards. When you purchase a dog as a family pet, a good breeder will ask you to sign a contract saying that you will neuter the dog. The contract will also obligate you to give the dog back to the breeder if you can't keep it.

Of course, always consider adopting a rescue dog. There are plenty of wonderful dogs of all ages and types that need homes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:25 pm 
New Kid

Thanks Jesse for your message about adopting dogs. It was so heartfelt and absolutely touching. I don't understand the "dog buying culture" and never will. Thanks for being an advocate.