Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:59 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:12 pm 
Staff

This week, Biz and Theresa try to be helpful. Wait! Where are you going? We talk about the joys and fears of traveling with kids, explore expectations, and offer a few tips. Warning: Tip results may vary by family and child. Plus, we're joined by Janice Newell Bissex, of Meal Makeover Moms, who helps us get a grip on dinner time.

Episode 53: Traveling With Kids / Making Dinnertime Easier

Do you "ENJOY" traveling with your kids? Any tips to share?

Worst trips ever?

Why is dinnertime the worst and what do you do to make it great and/or just survive it?

Please share and discuss!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:18 pm 
New Kid

This week's episode could not have come at a better time. I am preparing to travel this weekend with my 4 1/2 and 2 year old to Colorado, which will be great, right? Going is one thing - my husband will be coming with us but we have to come back ON A RED EYE by ourselves. Two kids, plus two car-seats plus luggage through the airport. should be totally fine, right??? what was i thinking, I ask myself? that said, I am glad to be going to see a dear friend and I am sure once I have had several stiff drinks upon arriving home, all will be well :)

Also - dinner time is the WORST. My new strategy - fine, don't eat it. seriously. they won't starve.

great show, as always, Theresa and Biz. you are both doing a wonderful job. good thing I didn't know Biz was coming to NY. I might have stalked her :)

E

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:26 am 
Staff

Dang. You're brave. Please report back on that red eye adventure!

For our trip we just took, the worst parts were really just the packing. Packing to go on the trip and then packing up the hotel room, checking out, etc. Oh and of course we've been home four days and still not totally unpacked. But the trip was fun- it really actually was. So...yay!

Thanks for the nice words!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:57 pm 
New Kid

Brave or really dumb! I have to pack tonight - not looking forward to it.

Glad your trip was fun! I will let you know how my trip went next week.

E

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:15 pm 
Staff

Good luck good luck!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:13 pm 
New Kid

Hi Theresa -

Just an update. I am still alive :) Actually, I cannot complain as my children really were angels on the flight. I had to get stern with them and tell them to go to sleep but there was minimal screaming involved on both sides. AND we made it to our building's lobby before my son threw up everywhere so yay, I think?

Verdict: the best one could hope for when taking a flight that leaves at midnight and touches down at 5.30 in the morning.

thanks for the good wishes!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:23 pm 
New Kid

Got home from a bitch of a day and had to pour a glass of wine before I could even start to think about feeding my family. Just as I was reaching for the box of cereal I remembered the frozen ravioli lasagna. GENIUS
Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:37 pm 
Staff

Erbera, you are a fucking genius! I am so impressed -- not to mention relieved for you! GOOD JOB!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:37 pm 
Staff

Erbera, you are a fucking genius! I am so impressed -- not to mention relieved for you! GOOD JOB!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:40 pm 
New Kid

Thank you, Theresa!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:41 pm 
Staff

Jarahsane wrote:
Got home from a bitch of a day and had to pour a glass of wine before I could even start to think about feeding my family. Just as I was reaching for the box of cereal I remembered the frozen ravioli lasagna. GENIUS
Thank you.

YAY! Good job!

I told Jesse that I'm committing to making two GOOD dinners a week (i.e. something that involves more than grilled cheese and salad -- granted, I am a genius at making grilled cheese, but that's not really a dinner). That was like two weeks ago and I haven't really gotten there. The only thing stopping me is the planning before I shop...it is HARD to change habits! But I am still going to try.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:41 pm 
Staff

Jarahsane wrote:
Thank you.

YAY! Good job!

I told Jesse that I'm committing to making two GOOD dinners a week (i.e. something that involves more than grilled cheese and salad -- granted, I am a genius at making grilled cheese, but that's not really a dinner). That was like two weeks ago and I haven't really gotten there. The only thing stopping me is the planning before I shop...it is HARD to change habits! But I am still going to try.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:55 pm 
New Kid

Theresa - would you like some good recipes to try? Pretty much all mine come from Bon Appetit so I can post the links? I have been making things in advance and freezing them. they are hardly gourmet miracles but at least they freeze well and I can pull them out right before dinner time. let me know, i don't want to foist them on you if you are not interested!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:58 pm 
Staff

erbera wrote:
Theresa - would you like some good recipes to try? Pretty much all mine come from Bon Appetit so I can post the links? I have been making things in advance and freezing them. they are hardly gourmet miracles but at least they freeze well and I can pull them out right before dinner time. let me know, i don't want to foist them on you if you are not interested!

By all means, post away! Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:17 pm 
New Kid

ok! I make this all the time:

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/parmes ... en-cutlets

I buy bulk chicken breasts and freeze them on parchment on a cookie sheet after breading them. then once they are frozen you can throw them in a zip lock and they won't stick together. you don't have to buy the cutlets - just get the whole breast and pound it out. my son quite enjoys the process of dipping the chicken in the flour then the egg and panko. it's really messy but if you do it in bulk you only have to clean up once.

This is basically the same but with fish:

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/crispy-fish-sticks

I have tried it with tilapia which works too.

My other go to is to make meatballs or meatloaf but I don't have a real recipe for that. I usually grind up carrots, onion and celery (if you call it a mirepoix then you sound much fancier) and saute until soft and then mix that, eggs, ketchup, ground meat, breadcrumbs, maybe some garlic and onion powder and then cook it as meatballs or meatloaf. if it's meatloaf you can cut it into slices and freeze those for easy heating up.

this sauce is super easy and delicious (and I halved the butter and it was fine):

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/C ... ion-Butter

I have been meaning to throw in some wheatgerm or flax seed to the mix too, as your guest suggested.

Kind of boring food but at least it is quick and the children (usually) eat it. My son doesn't like the texture of most meat and yet he also dislikes vegetables so it is a challenge! Frozen mixed vegetables are a lifesaver in a pinch as well. he will also eat the "colorful" pasta, which you can buy dried - you know, it is orange and green and white?

anyway, hope this is helpful. if you want to get ambitious, my whole family (except my boy of course!) loved this soup:

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/squash ... minestrone

it took a while to make but made a huge amount and it froze really well.

last one:

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/S ... an-Cheese-

the saag is amazing for the grown ups (use frozen spinach - much easier) and pretty easy but the paneer was the biggest hit with my daughter. she got really angry I said she had to stop eating it so I could mix it with the spinach!

let me know if you like any of these. I will share anything else I come upon that they actually eat too.

- E