Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:50 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:16 pm 
Staff

Laura and Dominik just moved into a new aparment in Berlin. Laura fears the summer temperatures and wants to install an air conditioner. Dominik wants to sweat it out.

Plus, we visit "TROPICAL ISLANDS" and learn about "LUFTZUG".

Judge John Hodgman Ep. 161: Cold Case

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:02 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I've seen ceiling fans in many places in Europe, so I was a bit surprised to hear that they didn't exist in Germany. I did a quick search and found http://www.lampenwelt.de, which has a lot of them. I'm sure they are available in many stores there.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:42 pm 
New Kid

I found the video of the Xanadu Pleasure Dome aka Tropical Islands that the Judge was watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F1oMB66RIA

This place is bananas!

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:45 am 
New Kid

There is something like Tropical Islands Resort in the US. It is called Great Wolf Lodge. There is even one in New England. http://www.greatwolf.com

I am not affiliated with them in any way but would love to go there myself.

Mellie

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:34 pm 
New Kid

I just bought a Chi... um, cooling water pillow insert from the TV commercials, as suggested by Jesse in the podcast, and will be trying out soon. I decided on the purchase, since, like Laura, I believe heat is the enemy, but I still wish to decrease my AC usage. Will report back soon.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:29 pm 
New Kid

My father emigrated from Germany not long before I was born, and I have visited Germany several times, and I can confirm that Germans do indeed have a weird aversion to drafts of any kind. I was not at all surprised to hear the near horror in Dominik's voice at the idea of having a fan blow on you all night. It made me laugh, just because of the familiarity of it.
Possibly as a result of that I grew up in a house with no central air, and I am so happy now that I have a house of my own with A/C. I wouldn't live without it.

Fun podcast, and good luck to the two of them. I'd love to see how sitting in front of an open refrigerator affects their electricity bill. *chuckle*

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:54 am 
New Kid

Seventy eight degrees!? That's what I set my AC to here in Arizona. It's 105 and still May! Pfft

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:53 am 
New Kid

I'm an Estonian married to an American (from TN), and we're both living in Estonia.

The draft-aversion is also a cultural thing here (we were ruled by Germans for centuries), and AC is just as rare. But I maintain that Dominik's position is a chauvinist one that confuses a slight majority opinion for a universally accepted preference. It isn't at all the case that everyone handles temperature similarly. The sizable minority of us who can't stand high temperatures simply have to put up with horrific summers where we can barely get an hour or two of sleep each night, between cold showers and/or dipping our feet in ice water. All the isolation and insulation in the world won't make an 85 degree ambient temperature any more livable for us.

I grew up without AC, and never knew what I was missing. After living in an air conditioned apartment in Canada for five years, the veil has been lifted from my eyes. AC is the bee's knees. Central air isn't an option in our current apartment, but we've been making do with dual desk fans strategically placed in our bedroom. I vehemently disagree that AC is an unnecessary American luxury, and will definitely get central air if it's at all viable in our next apartment/house. Thank god there's AC at my office.

European windows are vastly superior to North American windows, though. And door knobs are stupid, get handles!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:23 pm 
New Kid

Keninan wrote:
Seventy eight degrees!? That's what I set my AC to here in Arizona. It's 105 and still May! Pfft

Yeah, but you're in Arizona. It's nice and dry there, so 78 doesn't feel so bad at all. A little warm, but not uncomfortable.
I live in Idaho, and it's the same way here (in the summer, anyway). On the other hand, I was just in Houston a couple of weeks ago, and it was 71 and felt absolutely sweltering. It was the humidity that did it. It was horrible.

Berlin won't be that bad, but it is definitely humid enough there that when it gets into the 80s, it's going to be very uncomfortable for sleeping, at least for someone used to the luxuries of American AC.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:36 pm 
New Kid

unigolyn wrote:
And door knobs are stupid, get handles!

What? I can only assume you don't have kids.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:57 am 
New Kid

I can totally understand the temperature battle. My husband likes it breezy and stays up late. He'll leave the back door open with just the screen shut, with a big box fan blowing the air in. Then he'll come to bed. I get up for work at 4am, when it's still middle-of-the-night freezing, and walk in to a room with a frigid hurricane blowing on me. Guess how many times I've asked him to at least close the door when he comes to bed. His response? "I like the fresh air" :roll:
One day I may stab him with an icicle.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:05 am 
New Kid

Okay, now that I've spent some time with the water pillow, I can mostly approve of it as an added solution. It's cumbersome to move around, the inside bunches up easily and irreversibly, and it turns warm by the middle of the night (thankfully after you're asleep). Also, the setup is messy, and it takes forever to get as cold as I desire (I just leave it in the fridge), not to mention the slight dampness. However, it stays really cold long enough to do the job and isn't uncomfortable to lay your head on. (I would recommend a separate pillow case and treat it as just another pillow). It gets as cold as an ice pack, just the way I need it. I plan to get another for my feet, as well as one for my father for Father's Day, since he works in the sun all day.