Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:35 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:39 am 
Staff

Like our postpartum bodies, nothing is where it should be! First, our kids are growing up too fast, and our friends are looking too depressingly perfect on FaceBook. Next, we jump into our topic: we call Jen McLellan of PlusSizeBirth.com, who shares awesome tips for having the pregnancy and birth experience you want -- and loving your body -- no matter your size. Then Biz and Theresa break it down about our own post-baby body feelings and decide to get scantily-clad and take pictures of ourselves. That last part may or may not be true. Enjoy!

Episode 58: Body Image

Did your maternity health care provider ever make you feel stressed or ashamed about your size or weight gain or lack thereof? What did you do?

How's that postpartum body treating you?

If you're thinking about getting pregnant for the first time, what are your thoughts or fears (if any) about the changes that lie ahead?

Did you guys know you fucking kick ass and we love you?

Hope everyone's week is going well.

Please share and discuss!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:42 pm 
New Kid

Hi Theresa -

I do remember getting incredibly annoyed with one of the doctors in my practice when I was pregnant with my first son. She noted I had gained 10 pounds in a month and asked if I had been eating more or something like that. Looking back, I can see she may have been asking a legitimate medical question (in a less than sensitive manner) but at the time I developed an irrational hatred of her. she ended up delivering my second baby so I guess we're cool now but I wanted to yell at her at the time. Maybe I should have :)

Aside from any kind of "image" issues, does anyone else find it incredibly irritating (not to mention expensive) to have to buy a whole new wardrobe? 2 years on from baby number 2, I am pretty much back to my pre-pregnancy weight but my body is a completely different shape. I guess I am never fitting back into my old jeans but it seems wasteful to throw everything away. I hate than none of my pants fit though. thank goodness for skirts :)

Love you guys too!

xo E

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:49 pm 
Staff

erbera wrote:
She noted I had gained 10 pounds in a month and asked if I had been eating more or something like that.

I had a similar experience. I think the words my dr used were, "You might want to...slow down...a bit." LOL

erbera wrote:
Aside from any kind of "image" issues, does anyone else find it incredibly irritating (not to mention expensive) to have to buy a whole new wardrobe?

YES. I am in this place right now where I have a closet full of clothes that do not fit. I wear the same three outfits day after day and they get rotated through the wash. I haven't tossed out my old clothes because I am not ready to accept the fact that they won't ever look right on me again...but ask me again in six months. I am so so so tired of digging through clothing I love but can't wear anymore!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:44 pm 
New Kid

Ha! Well my aunt is an OB/GYN and she told me it took being pregnant and having morning sickness for 9 months to really "get" morning sickness so maybe some of these doctors just need to feel the pain so to speak?

Oscar is too little for you to give up on the clothes yet however cut yourself some slack and get some jeans you like and can wear now. It will help I promise!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:29 pm 
Staff

erbera wrote:
...cut yourself some slack and get some jeans you like and can wear now. It will help I promise!

Good call!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:50 pm 
New Kid

Theresa - I took my own advice and bought two pairs of new jeans yesterday. so I can definitely tell you it helps, even if your wallet feels slightly differently :) the key - go to a department store and ask for help! Good luck!