Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:09 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:23 pm 
Staff

Zaki always controls the stereo on long car rides, and Michelle wants to get in on the action. Who gets to choose the audio playlist on a road trip, the driver or the passenger?

Judge John Hodgman Episode 163: Backseat Jiver

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:59 pm 
New Kid

I was particularly pleased to hear a reference to Bob Larson. I used to listen to his show when I drove a truck for an ice cream company, where he offered teaser lines like, "Coming up next... a letter from a woman ... written in her own blood!"

I was also wondering if the playlists from the two litigants could be posted, in part because I was wondering whether some of the music fell into the genre of "Moroccan Trance Music" which aside from inspiring Led Zeppelin, might not be the best music to listen to when attention to the road is a must.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:35 pm 
New Kid

24 pages? 6 pages?

Where is the evidence?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:36 pm 
New Kid

Finally, a pop culture reference I not only was able to identify, but regularly quote myself!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:38 pm 
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad

Normally I side with the "driver picks the music" argument, but Zaki immediately lost me when he said, "the way I vibe to music..."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:05 pm 
Maximum Funster

As someone with a husband who is terrible passenger in cars, saying the driver gets to pick will only work if the driving time is split evenly between all in the car. Otherwise, some sort of consensus or sharing of radio time needs to be constructed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:04 pm 
New Kid

We have the same issue, plus I travel for work with a wide variety of people for long periods in the car. I play something I like to call "Mix Tape Roulette". It's basically an exercise in inter-temporal choice. Here is how it works.

The MP3 player is loaded with songs selected by each passenger. The random button is pressed. Each participant can "skip" a song but is unable to skip again until an entire song is played.

eg, "Sincerely Jane" by Janelle Monet, which my daughter and I love, but my wife hates; wife skips knowing that the next song up might be something she loves or something she hates. If it's something she hates, she has to listen to the whole thing unless someone else decides to skip it. If someone else skips the next song, she still doesn't own a skip until a complete song is played. So, If she skips a song, then my daughter skips the next song, I can can force them to listen to whatever comes up next since I hold the only skip. If all three of us skip consecutively we must all listen to the next song, in it's entirety.

It works really, really, well. Skips are scarce. Plus, sometimes, it forces each of us to listen to something we might not have before.

This is a classic risk/reward scenario that reduces skipping (you have to really not want to hear something to risk what might come up next) and eliminate complaining (you can't complain about choices you made).

I strongly dislike Morressey, and would never willfully allow it before, but now I may, or may not, skip it based on my mood.

Works best with 2-3 people. 4-5 can result in nothing but skipping, with only one out of every 5-6 songs heard in their entirety.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:42 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Shinatoo's system seems to work well.

It seems to me that an easy solution is to make a combined playlist (with the approved 2:1 ratio of songs from each person) and then to hit shuffle. If you want to add a veto/skip function, a la shinatoo, that would work well.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:29 pm 
New Kid

Whenever a-ha is mentioned I am compelled to say that when my wife and I lived in Norway in 1995/96 the guy who wrote the lyrics for a-ha lived in the apartment next to ours. One day he got into the elevator just after me. I had already pressed the button for our floor. He went to press the button for our floor and was surprised that it was already pressed. He had no idea I lived on the same floor as him even though there were only three apartments on each floor. We never spoke the entire year we were there.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:56 pm 
Staff

We've resolved some formatting issues and posted Zaki and Michelle's playlists to the blog!

Or you can download them here:
Zaki
Michelle