Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:27 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:51 pm 
Site Admin

This week, we engage in some complicated time travel with X-Men: Days of Future Past, and we all lament Kitty Pryde's lack of activity. Plus, inspired by Evan Peters's performance, Cameron solicits Quicksilver vehicles from Rhea and Ricky.

Wham Bam Pow Ep. 55 - X-Men: Days of Future Past

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:41 pm 
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad

Re: Edgar Wright/Ant-Man: First off, I think the main thing to consider here is timing. When Marvel took a chance on RDJ for Iron Man (and Jon Favreau for that matter), it was willing to risk the farm because Marvel Studios wasn't an established, sure thing. Edgar Wright has been tied to Ant-Man for almost a decade now and when Marvel initially approached him they could play with house money. Cut to 2014, Marvel is now a powerhouse that feels like it has something to lose due to expectations and a string of well received movies (let's put aside critical acclaim...regardless of merits, each movie has done very well at the box office).

Personally, I think Wright probably wanted to make his version of Ant-Man and Marvel wanted him to make it broader or water it down a bit. The fact that both McKay and the guy who directed We Are the Millers backed out makes this whole situation look pretty bad on Marvel's end, because thus far they've been on a hot streak and haven't made any missteps. But Marvel has enjoyed a hot streak too long...sooner or later, they're bound to have a flop. Whether or not they're prematurely worried that a Wright film would flop remains to be disclosed, because I don't think we'll ever know all the details. One thing I do know: for the casual comic fan (such as myself and I'd say 75% of Marvel's audience), we don't care about an Ant-Man movie being made. 100% of my interest was invested in seeing a Marvel movie directed by Edgar Wright. Once he left the project, there's nothing about the comic/character/story that draws me to the theater. We can't get a Marvel movie about a female superhero, yet they're making one about a guy who can talk to ants? C'mon. The best thing Marvel could do is back off and let Wright have full control, but that won't happen. They went from being this underdog to being "the man."

Couple thoughts on X-Men: It was definitely the best of the franchise, but there were some lackluster bits. Kitty Pryde gets nothing to do, and great actors like Stewart and McKellan are wasted by them literally sitting around in a room the whole time. There were definitely some other issues, such as: if they needed to stop the sentinel program, why send Wolverine back a day or two before? Why not send him back months before to give them some breathing room? Also, if they new they'd need to stop Trask from being shot, why not bring Quicksilver to Paris so he can easily stop the assassination attempt? How did Magento lacing the sentinel's bodies with metal magically allow him to control their programming? At the end, why did Rogue still have that white streak in her hair? She got that in the first movie, but the events of this movie basically erased X1, X2, and X3 (thank god on that last one). The ending felt a bit contrived too...first you're building this program to stop mutants, but when a mutant drops an entire stadium around the White House and almost shoots the president, they decide to scrap the program because the mutant didn't shoot the president? If anything, that display of power/infiltration would warrant speeding up the process. And finally, why is this franchise so enamored with Hugh Jackman's relatively vanilla take on Wolverine? In the comics, it's Kitty Pryde who goes back, not Wolverine. Yet they constructed some BS excuse for why he's the one who has to go back.

All in all I enjoyed it, but there were definitely some moments that left me scratching my head.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:08 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I pretty much agree with everything DenimNightmare said about both Edgar Wright and X-men. However, as a slightly more invested fan, I was totally looking forward to an Ant-Man movie. Obviously, I loved that Edgar Wright was working on it, but I love the idea of an Ant-Man reimagining. He is a really old school hero with some silly powers (grow and shrink in size but have the proportionate strength of an ant). But he was an original member of the Avengers, so that would have almost completed the full squad.

As for X-men, I actually enjoyed this film despite its questionable plot. I was just glad to see the X-men actually using their powers in a fun way (which was definitely supplied).

As usual, my mind was blown listening to the review. I don't think I ever consciously thought about the weird dynamics of Magneto, Xavier, and Mystique. But once Cameron mentioned it, it sort of was obvious. I've been irked by the Charles and Raven relationship this whole time, but never could put my finger on it.

I always put all of Mystique's helplessness onto her young age. I think it really went the wrong direction when they had her become a hardened assassin but yet still have these immature relationships with Prof X and Magneto. They tried to keep the personality of First Class but the actions of the other movies and it just ended up portraying a stereotypically false version of a strong female character.

BTdubs, MaxFunCon was awesome. Doubt.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:43 am 
New Kid

Just a quick note. I take the show off RSS and I get them every two shows. For one show, nothing, then BAM! X-men and Tom Cruz at once. Am listening to 56 while writing response to 55. It's very disconcerting but nice to have two to mainline.

Gotta thank you three for taking one for the team. I haven't seen DoFP and will wait for it free on Amazon Prime when it comes up. Between the Wolverine focus (I know he's a draw, but I liked it better from the comics that the relatively powerless Sprite had to make the difference), Mystique vacillation, and Ellen Page having nothing to do, I am less excited about seeing this. Ricky especially broke the "so loved" idolization of the Quicksilver scene because it was the one thing that made me consider seeing this on a big screen.

Props to Ricky also for mentioning Jennifer Lawrence in Winter's Bone. To my mind, it's still the best acting I've seen from her. I like to imagine that she got the Oscar for that and the other movie series is just the popular symptom.

I liked in the comics that we never saw the exact things that turned Mystique so bitter to Charles and that she became bitter to Magneto as well. Your description of their dynamics makes me want to give this a pass again.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:43 pm 
Site Admin

Leprejuan wrote:
Just a quick note. I take the show off RSS and I get them every two shows. For one show, nothing, then BAM! X-men and Tom Cruz at once. Am listening to 56 while writing response to 55. It's very disconcerting but nice to have two to mainline.

Gotta thank you three for taking one for the team. I haven't seen DoFP and will wait for it free on Amazon Prime when it comes up. Between the Wolverine focus (I know he's a draw, but I liked it better from the comics that the relatively powerless Sprite had to make the difference), Mystique vacillation, and Ellen Page having nothing to do, I am less excited about seeing this. Ricky especially broke the "so loved" idolization of the Quicksilver scene because it was the one thing that made me consider seeing this on a big screen.

Props to Ricky also for mentioning Jennifer Lawrence in Winter's Bone. To my mind, it's still the best acting I've seen from her. I like to imagine that she got the Oscar for that and the other movie series is just the popular symptom.

I liked in the comics that we never saw the exact things that turned Mystique so bitter to Charles and that she became bitter to Magneto as well. Your description of their dynamics makes me want to give this a pass again.

Huh, thanks for the heads up about the RSS weirdness. I'll look into it!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:17 pm 

Leprejuan wrote:
Just a quick note. I take the show off RSS and I get them every two shows. For one show, nothing, then BAM! X-men and Tom Cruz at once. Am listening to 56 while writing response to 55. It's very disconcerting but nice to have two to mainline

Tiny Lindsay wrote:
Huh, thanks for the heads up about the RSS weirdness. I'll look into it!

FYI - I subscribe to WBPow! (and many other MaxFun Podcasts) via RSS and never have seen this behavior with my podcasting client.