Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:21 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:12 am 
Site Admin

This week, Rhea and Ricky tackle Quentin Tarantino's breakout hit Pulp Fiction. Plus, we take the opportunity to address some of your emails in the segment WhamBamPower To The People!

Wham Bam Pow Ep. 58 - Pulp Fiction

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:24 pm 
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad

One of my all-time favorite Rian Johnson movies is Brick. I was so excited to show this movie to my friends, and when I did they buried their faces in their phones and then proceeded to tell me they didn't like the movie after it was over. That's by far one of my biggest pet peeves with movie/TV watching. If you can't put your phone down for 90 minutes, chances are we won't watch a lot of movies together.

My biggest reservation about the new Predator movie is that if they do get a time-ravaged Arnie involved, at this point the Predator will look better than he will.

I know I'm late to the party and most everybody probably knows this, but my favorite bit of Pulp Fiction continuity is the story Mia Wallace tells about the Fox Force Five pilot and their representations in Kill Bill. "The blonde leader (Daryl Hannah), the Japanese one (Lucy Lu), the deadliest woman in the world with a knife (Uma Thurman), the French one (Julie Dreyfus), and the black one (my bae Vivica A. Fox)."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:09 pm 
Site Admin

DenimNightmare wrote:
One of my all-time favorite Rian Johnson movies is Brick. I was so excited to show this movie to my friends, and when I did they buried their faces in their phones and then proceeded to tell me they didn't like the movie after it was over. That's by far one of my biggest pet peeves with movie/TV watching. If you can't put your phone down for 90 minutes, chances are we won't watch a lot of movies together.

My biggest reservation about the new Predator movie is that if they do get a time-ravaged Arnie involved, at this point the Predator will look better than he will.

I know I'm late to the party and most everybody probably knows this, but my favorite bit of Pulp Fiction continuity is the story Mia Wallace tells about the Fox Force Five pilot and their representations in Kill Bill. "The blonde leader (Daryl Hannah), the Japanese one (Lucy Lu), the deadliest woman in the world with a knife (Uma Thurman), the French one (Julie Dreyfus), and the black one (my bae Vivica A. Fox)."

I loooooove Brick, but on subsequent viewings, I find it kind of oddly paced and a bit long. I tried to watch it with some friends, and they weren't really on board :( JGL <3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:26 pm 

Tiny Lindsay wrote:
DenimNightmare wrote:

I loooooove Brick, but on subsequent viewings, I find it kind of oddly paced and a bit long. I tried to watch it with some friends, and they weren't really on board :( JGL <3

I can definitely see how Brick might not be for everyone. The dialogue has a certain cadence to it that takes some initial getting used to; when I first watched it, I would occasionally have trouble hearing what they were saying. I'll have to re-watch it again sometime soon...I didn't notice any pacing problems in prior viewings, but it's been a while.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:48 pm 
Site Admin

DenimNightmare wrote:
Tiny Lindsay wrote:
DenimNightmare wrote:

I can definitely see how Brick might not be for everyone. The dialogue has a certain cadence to it that takes some initial getting used to; when I first watched it, I would occasionally have trouble hearing what they were saying. I'll have to re-watch it again sometime soon...I didn't notice any pacing problems in prior viewings, but it's been a while.

Honestly, I think the time of day was the chief factor working against us. We started it pretty late, and between the tricky dialogue (as you mentioned) and the story, you have to pay pretty close attention to get it.