Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:38 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:45 pm 
Staff

Brothers Edmund and Garth plan to grow and raise all of their food for an entire year. Garth thinks they should have occasional exceptions for things like chocolate and coffee. Edmund says they need to go whole hog. Who's right?

Judge John Hodgman Episode 167: Brocavore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:41 pm 
New Kid

Oh WOW, Readers Digest's Back to Basics!

It isn't often where I'm listening to the cultural reference at the top of the show and 100% know the answer. My father cherished the copy our family had on the shelf, often drawing inspiration for his many projects around the house, since we lived out in the country. I spent many hours poring over how to build your home and carve out a homestead in the landscape, feed and clothe yourself, and find some semblance of entertainment out of sticks and string and other garbage. The book is insanely detailed with step-by-step descriptions with pictures for everything (I always had to quickly skip past the animal slaughtering diagrams--just a little too real for a five-year-old).

However, as much as I loved reading and learning from Back to Basics, the book was perfectly sized for a lap desk, and I rather spent more time using it to draw, color, and write. Now the tan cover is covered in stray crayon and marker streaks, and some scissor gouges from school art projects. Also, I didn't inherit any of my father's farming ambitions, preferring cityslicker comforts, but I love that book. Apparently it's still printed in a third edition by Skyhorse Publishing, according to Amazon, just not under the Readers Digest moniker. And from what I can tell, for better or for worse, they haven't changed a word (or typeface: very late 70s-looking). Guys, this book is definitely worth a looksee!

Thank you for bringing back something special from my childhood!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:44 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

"It's called Fruit Pizza because everyone likes pizza and no one likes sugar cookies"
-JJHo

New T-Shirt.

Edit: You can still buy the Foxfire book series: http://www.foxfire.org/thefoxfirebookseries.aspx

I bought the first two books recently and they are very interesting. Kudos to these two for really getting into the thick of this stuff.

-- quote from Plato stolen from Donna Tartt