Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:19 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:30 pm 
Site Admin

This week, we're back with a look at Brad Pitt's highest grossing film, the zombie drama/thriller World War Z! Plus, in honor of Mr. Pitt's myriad accomplishments, we pitch him new projects in diverse genres. We bet he's thrilled!

Wham Bam Pow Ep. 59 - World War Z

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:43 pm 
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed World War Z. I had read the book and felt a fair bit of trepidation that they were going to completely get rid of the format of the book and tell a more cohesive narrative. I remember seeing the initial trailers and feeling 100% checked out from caring, due to the zombies behaving like ants. Admittedly, from now on I try not to judge based off teaser trailers. That being said, I still wasn't crazy about how the zombies basically defied the laws of physics in their movements but I have to check myself before I wreck myself when trying to apply real world logic to a zombie movie.

I cautiously optimistic about a sequel, provided they can nail the same tone. Typically horror sequels don't live up to their original but I'd like to put some hope in this project. And let's be honest, if they don't stylize the "Z" to look like a "2" for the poster, then what are we even doing anymore?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:50 pm 
New Kid

I did enjoy WWZ, but I think that I enjoyed it simply because I have been and continue to be a fan of the zombie genre in general. I think that the biggest mistake that the movie made was that it tried to be to true to the book, and it suffers from the same general problem that I think the first of the three Peter Jackson Lord of the Rings movies. That is, there are so many sequences in the book that if you try to capture them in a movie, it ends up being just a bunch of running from one location to the other. The difference with LOTR, though, was that they could assume that many people had read the book. Although WWZ is an outstanding book, not enough people have read it for the writers/director to assume that knowledge on behalf of the audience.

For those who have not read the book, it is told from the POV of a UN investigator who was tasked with documenting what happened during the zombie outbreak AFTER THE FACT. His focus is supposed to be the numbers: how many died here, when did the outbreak begin over there, etc, but he accumulates so many personal stories from talking to people that he amasses what he calls the "oral history" of the first zombie war. Although his superiors are not interested in this side of the story, he is encouraged to write it all down. The book that results IS "World War Z". That is, you read his oral history. The film's epilogue was full of little nods to readers of the book (like the soldiers with the dogs in Russia)

I agree with Ricky 100% when he said that it would have been a lot better if they had made the movie about just a few of these stories and delved into them in more detail, perhaps showing how the small number of stories are intertwined. They could even have structured it like the book, as a series of interviews. That would have allowed them to omit a lot of the "setup" of each set-piece, since the interviewee is only talking about their immediate experience. The viewer would then piece together the global plot as the movie progressed.