A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sawbones: Vaccines
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:38 pm 
Talent!
Talent!

This week on Sawbones, Dr. Sydnee and Justin are doing the show everyone has always asked them to do, but they've been sort of afraid to until now. This week, lets talk about vaccines.

Download MP3

Post subject: Re: Sawbones: Vaccines
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:21 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Great episode! And no apology needed for either taking on this controversial issue (and getting appropriately riled up about it), OR for not taking it on sooner. There's something to be said for a program that usually avoids controversy, but speaks up once in a while--it gives the message more weight when the time comes, and avoids wearing an audience out. And this is a freaking important one (and totally understandable why it's of very immediate importance to you two in this moment).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:43 am 
New Kid

Excellent podcast and thank you for addressing this issue. I am sixty, which is probably a bit older than your average listener and, unless I've gotten my immunizations mixed up, I remember being vaccinated for smallpox as a little girl before going overseas (I had a military dad). They scratched mine and my sister's upper arms very lightly with a small needle, which was not painful. A little plastic shield was then placed over the site and we were warned not to get it wet or touch it. We ended up with very tiny scars on our upper arms, which many people had..

Now that I have bored you with my personal experience, I have an idea for a podcast. This may have been suggested before, but have you considered doing an episode on polio? The post WWII epidemic was over with by the time I was old enough to remember, but I still remember pictures of iron lungs and also going to school with a boy who wore braces because he had had polio when he was small. My mother was terrified of the disease, and certainly would have made sure we were vaccinated even if the schools hadn't required it. I haven't heard of polio in years, and many of the current anti-vaxxers may have never heard of it. I think this would be a bit of history that might make people think twice about not vaccinating their children.

Thanks again for your informative and funny podcast.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:14 pm 
New Kid

Great episode. I'm thinking of using this one at a Boy Scout meeting on the importance of vaccines. On a related (and funny note) I found this on CNN

Forgotten vials of smallpox virus found

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:13 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

HunterJE wrote:
Great episode! And no apology needed for either taking on this controversial issue (and getting appropriately riled up about it), OR for not taking it on sooner. There's something to be said for a program that usually avoids controversy, but speaks up once in a while--it gives the message more weight when the time comes, and avoids wearing an audience out. And this is a freaking important one (and totally understandable why it's of very immediate importance to you two in this moment).

Totally agree!!

I read an amazing book about the eradication of smallpox (and the terrifying possibility of it getting out again). I was really shocked that the only diseases we've eradicated, ever, are smallpox and some cow disease. There's a couple of others that are close but the last little bit is near-impossible.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:13 am 
New Kid

Excellent show about vaccination, thanks Sawbones! The history of immunology is really amazing, and full of great stories. In fact, if it hadn't been for variolation, the United States might not have gained its independence in the Revolutionary War. George Washington made the all-important, and very controversial, decision to have the colonial army troops inoculated in January 1777, saying in his inoculation order that "we should have more to dread from [smallpox] than the sword of the enemy." Because of this decision, Washington had a healthy army that was able to persevere against the British until the surrender at Yorktown in 1781.

It's also worth noting that, while Lady Mary Wortley Montagu (who later became known as a "letter writer" because of the publication of The Letters and Works of Lady Mary Wortley Montagu in 1861) introduced the Turkish method of variolation to Europe, the similar African method was being introduced in North America by African slaves who were brought to this continent against their will. Cotton Mather learned of the technique from slaves in the early 1700's, and in 1721 he convinced Dr. Zabdiel Boylston to try it out.

The National Library of Medicine has some great articles about immunization and efforts to eradicate disease through vaccination on their blog at http://circulatingnow.nlm.nih.gov. See, for example, the Star Wars approach to immunization (Justin will enjoy this) at http://circulatingnow.nlm.nih.gov/2013/08/16/dont-hesitate-vaccinate/ and http://circulatingnow.nlm.nih.gov/2014/06/25/kick-polio-out-of-nigeria/.