Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:04 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:10 pm 
Staff

Hear ye! Hear ye! Judge Hodgman lifts the buzz marketing ban (for an episode, anyway)!!

Katie brings the case against her boyfriend, Dallas. They enjoy visiting Disneyland together, but Dallas refuses to go on Katie's favorite ride. Katie says he's got nothing to lose by giving it a try, and everything to gain. Dallas says already knows he won't like it, and he's OK with missing out. Who's right? Who's wrong?

With Expert Witness Mark Gagliardi of the Thrilling Adventure Hour!

Judge John Hodgman Episode 168: Queasy Rider

We expect you to confess all of your theme park ride fears here. No judging in this thread.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:06 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I feel like Tower of Terror got a bit of a bum rap being described as basically an up-and-down carnival ride. I am afraid of roller coasters and big drops, and won't go on those rides at other parks; but I did actually ride the Tower of Terror at whatever movie-themed park was at Disney World when I worked there (briefly) in the 90s.The ups and downs are very unpredictable, and I remember that, from time to time, part of the hotel facade would pull back so you could see how high you were before you dropped (or rose) again. Anyhow, there are much "better" roller coasters all over this great land, which I won't touch: but I love the Thunder Mountain Railroad and Space Mountain at Disney. I don't feel the need to go on Tower of Terror again, but it's a good ride, worth trying once.

The ones I really can't handle are the ones where you're in some kind of seating thing and watch a video while the thing you're sitting on shakes around. Those make me car sick.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:24 pm 
New Kid

@meganc30
I totally agree that the Tower of Terror's thrill factor wasn't fairly described, especially when compared to those run-of-the-mill free fall rides in almost every other park and big carnival. One part that makes the ride so much fun is that the car doesn't just free fall with gravity, it actually pulls you down. Also, the ride is randomized in terms of how many times you go up and down and how long the drops and rises. So even if you ride it 10 times you're going to have a slightly different experience each time.

On a related topic...

I know that JJHo and MaxFun are looking for new t-shirt ideas. I already emailed Lindsay about this, but wanted to share my idea with the community with an idea inspired by this episode. What about a shirt that endorsing Judge John Hodgman’s campaign running for Mayor of Disneyland but of course the Judge would be opposed to the buzz marketing, so maybe it should read:

“Vote Judge John Hodgman for Mayor of Popular Southern California Themed Amusement Park”

The shirt calls out to what I believe will be one of the most popular episodes of JJHo and I also think that it’s a t-shirt that begs to be worn when Max Fun listeners/members visit Disneyland. I know that I would wear it every time that I made a trip to a Disney park :) . I’m sorry that I didn’t provide a mock-up of any kind, but unfortunately I’m not much of an artist. I hope we can make this awesome shirt happen!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:55 pm 
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad

Not being a Disney fan in the least, I found myself at the Florida parks last summer with family. Tower of Terror was my favorite attraction behind Space Mountain (I learned they're not called "rides"). I thought the preamble fluff was imaginative though fairly goofy, and the cast members really put in an effort to act the part. I only got to go once but would have gladly abandoned my group to ride it a few times. I do love me some zero-G though.

One funny thing happened when I was on the ride: there was a middle-aged man who appeared to be with about five or six other similarly aged family members. He started to flip out as soon as he was strapped in and was asking the spooky bellhop if he could get off. The cast guy actually had to break out of spooky bellhop character and say, "Sir, it's really a lot of fun. You'll love it." The guy stayed on and appeared to be glad he did when it was all over. Sorry Dallas, you're missing out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:02 pm 
New Kid

A few notes from a Disney dweeb. (I once spent a week at Walt Disney World (WDW) with my wife and five friends. We decided to be the dwarfs, which made me Grumpy, the world's tallest, angriest dwarf.)

1) for those who haven't been on Tower of Terror at both WDW and California Adventure (DCA), the Florida iteration is one of the few rides that is far superior at WDW compared to its California cousin. Because the DCA version was shoehorned in to a corner of the park in an effort to make DCA less lame, they didn't have room for the footprint required to build in the entire pre-drop portion of the WDW version, which is a shame, as it's some of the best stuff about the ride. (And ToT is much more fun than MaliBoomer ever was, just one reason why MaliBoomer no longer exists.)

2) The Judge is quite correct that "Splash Mountain" is the ultimate Disney theme park ride - Walt Disney's express desire in creating Disneyland was to avoid the tackiness of carnivals and amusement parks. The fact that the Disneyland leadership of the 90s ignored or forgot this when creating DCA - and, in particular, the "Paradise Pier" section, which consisted entirely at the park's opening of "out-of-the-box" amusement park rides with minimal theming, probably had Walt's frozen head spinning in its cryo-chamber buried deep underneath Disneyland. To not only reclaim "Song of the South" by bowdlerizing the main character - Uncle Remus - out of the story entirely, but to re-use existing Audio-Animatronics from "America Sings" in the process, and turn a standard amusement park concept - the log flume ride - into a highly themed attraction (and tying the flume drop to the "briar patch" is a beautifully fitting bow on the whole thing) is what Disney parks do best when they do it right. (Oddly enough, when the Judge asked the question about what the ultimate Disney ride was, I completely forgot that, upon riding SM for the first time, that was my first thought - it was the apotheosis of Disney rides.)

3) That said, I do think there is one ride in all of Disneydom that now surpasses it - the Winnie-the-Pooh ride at Tokyo Disneyland. It's the same basic story as the WtP rides at the American parks, with one huge difference - the ride system is based on a magnetic track instead of a rail, and the ride vehicles behave in seemingly random ways through much of the ride. My even-more-Disney-nerdly friend and I found the experience jaw-dropping, and repeat rides worth the longest wait in the park to ride it multiple times. In general, the Tokyo parks are an upgrade over the American parks in many ways - if you ever go to Tokyo DisneySea (the least Disney-themed Disney park anywhere), compare it to DCA, which was built at the same time. The difference is that DCA was paid for by the Disney corporation (whose leadership at the time was pretty spotty in their stewardship), while the Tokyo parks are paid for by the Tokyo Land Corporation, who coughed up the money and got something spectacular for it.

\steamofconsciousness

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:21 pm 
New Kid

Listening to this podcast makes me want to drop everything and run up to Disneyland. And ride Tower of Terror! I love that ride and find it VERY thrilling. I am also happy to hear fellow San Diegans.

And now reading that ToT is better at Disney World - man, I have never really felt the need to go there, but this is kind of a compelling piece of information.