Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:53 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:50 am 
Staff

Biz and Theresa talk about taking our kids to the doctor and giving them shots! Guess who has no emotional issues seeing her kids get shots? Hint: Her name rhymes with Beresa. Plus, Theresa has a problem with sharing and Biz is shocked to discover her son only wants to touch his penis….ever. If that isn’t fun enough, the show wraps up with a call to the wise, funny, and extremely pregnant host of Sawbones, Dr. Sydnee McElroy, for a discussion about vaccines! Best episode ever!

Episode 68: Getting Poked! Shots, Doctor Visits & Vaccines

How do your kids like getting shots? Not much? You have any magic tricks to make things easier on everyone?

Any positive or negative experiences with shots or doctors you wish to share?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:30 pm 
New Kid

It helps when one's son develops a crush on his pediatrician... My five year old was always afraid of going to the doctor before but now he has decided he loves his doctor and can't wait to receive his flu mist from her in October :)

As for worst ever experiences at the doctor, in NY it is mandatory for 1-year-olds to have their lead levels checked, which means having blood drawn. The doctor could not find a vein on my tiny girl and was poking and poking and poking her, resulting in tears from all sides (except the doctor). I totally felt for you, Theresa, hearing about the catheter experience because it was very similar for me. Eventually she decided she would just wait until my baby turned 2 since we live in a new apartment and there was very little risk in her having elevated lead levels but I sort of wish I had stopped her sooner because it was just awful.

On a related note, what do you do when you find out people you know have opted for the delayed vaccine schedule based on their belief that it "feels right"? I know we are not meant to judge other parents but...

And lastly, did you watch the Samantha Bee piece on the anti-vaccine movement? I think you ladies would like it.

thanks for the show. you're both doing a great job! xo E

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:12 pm 
Staff

erbera wrote:
[W]hat do you do when you find out people you know have opted for the delayed vaccine schedule based on their belief that it "feels right"? I know we are not meant to judge other parents but...

Oh, I do judge. I do. I mean, I'm not gonna start a fight with someone but if a friend tells me they're doing that, for a BS reason like that, I don't think I can physically restrain myself from at least making a face that says, "What?! Really? You're doing that?"

Maybe they just think I'm an a-hole and don't care what I think, but there's also a chance my reaction could make them reconsider what they're doing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:19 pm 
New Kid

Ha ha Theresa, that is why I think you are totally great! I wonder if I made that face? PROBABLY. but people who do that are not going to ever change their mind because of logic, reason or science!!!

have a great day!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:22 pm 
Staff

Just found the Samantha Bee piece -- hilarious! Thank you! I think I'll post it on our fb page.

Also thanks for your story about the lead test, though I'm so sorry you had to go through that. What a nightmare.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:26 pm 
New Kid

Great idea to post it!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:45 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Thank you for addressing this topic. I have several good friends who decided to skip some vaccines or do the Dr Sears schedule (aka the 'somebody just made this up without any evidence to support it' schedule) and it makes me crazy and terrified.
Basically, I'd rather my kid not die of measles, etc if it can be avoided.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:46 pm 
Staff

Exactly!

Thanks, Readingjag!