Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:33 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:09 pm 
Talent!
Talent!

Okay, so. Justin's on paternity leave. (Yay, Justin!) That means we're going to be doing some ... experimental stuff up in MBMBaM. Like, for instance, instead of doing the whole advice thing, we played Dungeons and Dragons and recorded it.

Suggested talking points: The Hero Birthing Process, The Inventor of Fantasy Tex-Mex, Gnomish Craigslist, Dead Horses, Murder Dance, Flushing the Toilet Cave

The Adventure Zone MP3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:27 pm 
New Kid

Loved this and would love to hear more episodes like it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:35 pm 
New Kid

Great episode! Using http://roll20.net might make it easier for you in the future

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:07 pm 
New Kid

Great job all: loved this ep! This would make an amazing and wildly welcomed spinoff.
As a recently reinvigorated pen and paper RPG player (and also recent first time GM) I've been listening to a lot of liveplay casts, and doing a fair amount of D&D homework. I am definitely biased, but I think you fellas killed it! The explanation of the ruleset & action was clear, while all the while keeping the goof-laden feel of MBMBaM. Roll20 is definitely an excellent solution to non-centralized gaming. Also, and maybe this is just personal preference, but I always appreciate a description of the monsters rather than a type name...like, I'd love to hear YOUR version of what a Gorblin looks like, over just 'a goblin' or 'a bugbear'.
Can't wait to hear the further adventures of My Dungeons, My Dragons and Dad.
...and will never think about cantrips the same again. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:48 pm 
Diamond Friendship Circle
Diamond Friendship Circle

I'm about half way through the D&D episode and I'm loving it! I think the interaction with each other is great and Griffin I think your killing it with the GMing. I know you guys don't have a lot of time to be together so maybe if you want to start out with a monthly think and then add more that would work. Even though I would love more frequent episodes.

Keep up the good work guys and send Justin and Sidney my love and congratulations on the new bundle.

You can follow me on Twitter or read my blog if you would like to see my nerdy ramblings.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:50 pm 
New Kid

I'm really liking this episode! I love having your dad in on this. I am so jealous of you guys. I'd really like to hear more of this kind of thing. Keep it up!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:25 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Loving this!

FYI, if you like this kind of things, you really should be listening to Nerd Poker over on Earwolf if you're not already (sorry for the cross-network plug, but it's a great show), comedian/actor/writer Brian Posehn plays D+D every week with some of his funny friends, and it's wonderfully ridiculous. If you have 88 hours to spare I strongly recommend starting from the beginning, if not they started a new adventure ep 74 (the campaign they were on from the start had to be paused because their original DM had to take some time off from the podcast after having a baby, don't you hate it when that happens) that would be a good jumping off point if you can stand not getting a few running jokes. Can't guarantee that if you start from there you won't then be compelled to go back and start from day one, though.

Last edited by HunterJE on Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:46 pm 
New Kid

I don't really understand D&D at all but I'm enjoying this a lot. I'd be down with you guys just making episodes on random themes outside of advice.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:08 pm 
New Kid

This episode is amazing. I was completely swept into Griffin's imaginarium dream scape. More Merle, Taako and Magnus please!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:36 pm 
New Kid

I loved the episode, really hope you guys decide to keep going. I'm kind of hoping to see a rival team of Bramblepelt and a few of his fellow warrior cats, and the groups having to team up against ORB: dark lord of horses to save Queen Amalie and the Mouse Kingdom.

I've listened to a little Nerd Poker but never really got into it, but I have been following Dungeons & Doritos for a few years.

The earliest episodes are rough because none of them know the rules of 4th Ed and they think it's going to be a one time thing, but it gets better pretty quickly especially after they get a permanent DM and switch to a different system.

I started with Book 2, it's a good balance between where the story is and where the editing is, although I did go back through Book 1 not long after I started.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:34 am 
New Kid

I created a forum account to tell you just how much I enjoyed this episode.

I'd be overjoyed if you kept making more like it. My vote is for a whole new podcast.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:48 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Loving the ep, might suggest getting a dedicated DM so Griffin can play

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:52 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

But I will stop listening if you stop referring to them as "gerblins"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:51 am 
New Kid

I would love an extension of this into a series. I think the idea of guests would be really great, but I like the dynamics of the four people on the show too. I don't really care what this turns into, I just want to know what happens to Taako, Merle, and Magnus.
I also really like the idea of incorporating the MBMBaM cannon into this. At some point, someone has to make a will save against being seduced by the Garfield Monstrosity.
Also I like MDMDaD as a name. Or the Adventure Zone. Whatever.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:53 pm 
New Kid

I really enjoyed this episode! More please.