Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:55 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:19 pm 
Maximum Funster

Discuss!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

Know before you listen that there's some serious stuff up top. Then a bunch of regular BS later. But be prepared for some pretty serious stuff in the first segment.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:18 am 
Diamond Friendship Circle

Jesse wrote:
Know before you listen that there's some serious stuff up top. Then a bunch of regular BS later. But be prepared for some pretty serious stuff in the first segment.

Thanks for sharing, Jesse.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:50 pm 
Maximum Funster

Ooof, Jesse! It's actually a little frightening to hear you so broken up. You got through it though, well done. Thank you for sharing your complex thoughts after Ferguson. Don't beat yourself up too much, and the message "Just do what you can, if you can" is well taken. As I type this, you're already on to amusing Samoans on the street, so the world is back on it's axis.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:59 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

No apology needed for the earnestness up top (though was very strange to hear Jesse at a loss for words). Great episode all around, both the serious and the BS.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:30 pm 
Maximum Funster

Very inspiring to hear you get so earnest for a change, Jesse. Thanks for sharing with us.

On a completely unrelated note - Weather Underground, the weather service, did take it's name from the 60's radical group - because the weather service was originally a computer project at the University of Michigan, where the radical group had also formed. I remember using wunderground when I was a student at UofM in about '96 or 97, accessing via telnet to campus unix servers which would spit back text based forecasts (crazy they never bothered changing the name though!).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:59 pm 

Jesse you're the best. Your story was well told and so honest. My kids listened too because they were interested. (Only the part about Ferguson.) One of them is nearly 17. You offered a thoughtful reflection looking back 15 years at your younger self. I get that your bigger point is that we not stand by in the face of injustice. But also a take away is that the decisions we make even when we are young can continue to haunt us. I didn't have to hit my kids over the head with that message. Your story got them there deftly.
Also- The Weather Underground is my favorite weather source. I love telling people to check "the weather underground" for the local forecast.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:46 pm 
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad

+1 for wunderground.com! Their animated radar map is the best. I've even used their historical data archive for energy efficiency and renewable energy studies in my day job.