Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:09 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:24 pm 
Site Admin

This week, Cameron's back, and we chat about Guardians of the Galaxy. Plus, news of a possible Star Wars theme park inspires a pitch it, and we added a herald to the team. Welcome, Anthony!

Wham Bam Pow Ep. 64 - Guardians of the Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:56 pm 
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad

Man, I was looking forward to this episode and it just kind of bummed me out. I don't know if Cameron's synopsis of GotG was supposed to be funny in the whole "I'm just going to lazily spout off random things about the movie" kind of way, but maybe put a little effort into it even if you didn't care for the movie. I saw this movie twice (that's right, twice) and even knowing what happens didn't make that synopsis any clearer, so I can only imagine what listeners who haven't seen it might be thinking. I hope that summary was just a product of Cameron being tired from doing Conan. Because if half-assing it is going to start being the norm, well...there's other movie podcasts out there. I love this show and started listening from the very first episode, so I can't quit it. I dunno...maybe I need to lower the bar on my expectations.

I guess this one of those eps where I disagree with the entire crew except for Rhea. I went into GotG with fairly high expectations and I expected to be disappointed, but I absolutely loved it. There were so many things that worked for me: Bradley Cooper bringing a humanity to Rocket, the movie was fun, the music was on point (C'mon Ricky! Jackson 5, The Runaways, Bowie, Marvin Gaye), I thought Lee Pace stole the whole show as Ronan (this is the first Marvel villain that I've genuinely found to be menacing and convincing), Chris Pratt was funny, and the universe they crafted looked like it'd been around for ages. Completely agreed with Rhea: it was fun from start to finish.

The two standouts to me were Ronan and Rocket. Rocket Raccoon could've easily been played like a jokey cartoon, but Cooper modified his voice and made Rocket vulnerable. Plus he had my favorite line from the movie: "They crumpled my pants into a ball. They folded yours!" Lee Pace did such a fantastic job that I couldn't take my eyes off Ronan whenever he was on the screen. Maybe I'm giving him undue praise because the villain isn't Loki for once. But he had me believing he was a psychoctic, genocidal alien. About the only things I'd change for the sequel would be to give Saldana and Gillan more to do with their characters. Both of them could kick major ass, but they were kind of relegated to fighting each other instead of squaring off against a male character.

Last edited by DenimNightmare on Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:05 pm 
New Kid

Wow. I was pretty into your podcast up until this summer. First, you all praise the dickens out of Godzilla (after telling us you are good friends with the screenwriter) and now you are making uniformed criticisms of Guardians of the Galaxy. You have a right to your opinion, but if you are going to host a podcast where you review films, you need to be a little more engaged and informed. Cameron's summary was (as the above comment noted) lazy and confused and it immediately set the tone for what would follow. If it was supposed to be funny, I didn't really see it because I was in the mindset of hearing a critique.

I need to ask some questions and I don't know if you folks read these comments, but here goes.

First off, Ricky, what exactly was wrong with the soundtrack? You claim it's terrible but never explain why. And, no, Margaritaville was not in the film. You are probably thinking of Escape (The Piña Colada Song). Also, why don't you see Chris Pratt as a leading man?

Cameron, I did agree with your criticism of how they handled Gamora and her treatment as a woman in this film. However, I don't agree necessarily with your overall analysis of women in the film. First off, the mother does count as her presence sets the stage for the personality of the main character throughout the film. Second, there were women in the prison - there is a long shot of one talking to her family on a hologram projector as soon as we see the main prison population and there are others in most of the other shots. There are also female ravagers (you called them space pirates) if you pay attention to the background characters. There is also Nebula, one of the main villains, as well as Glenn Close as Nova Prime, the head of the military force. Is it enough women? Of course not, but there were more than in most Marvel films where we the only decent female character is Black Widow so it is at least a step in the right direction.

I am not sure I will be back to listen again after this. I think you folks need to decide what you are. Are you a tongue in cheek comedy show where you take a satirical look at films to comedic effect or are you a semi-legit set of movie reviewers? I may check in again from time to time to see if you figure it out.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:44 am 
New Kid

Welcome back Cameron!

I enjoyed the movie but something was bugging me and it took me a while to figure it out: Gamora should have been the lead.

I know it'd go against the comics; but for the story that they told, she makes way more sense compared to the rest of the team.
From Wikipedia:
Quote:
After her family was killed by Thanos when she was a child, she was tortured and raised as an assassin, only to rebel against him when she learned of his plans to destroy an entire planet.

That would be a pretty good movie just by itself, and then include her "sister" Nebula which adds a whole other layer and that's even better! It'd probably only take replacing a couple of scenes and maybe a little re-editing of other ones but most of the current movie wouldn't have to change.

But no, we get a Cancer Mom Scene™, backstory for a character that doesn't really need it (Star lord = Han Solo + rocket boots, done.), and the fight between the sisters that should have been the highlight of the finale is barely anything more than what was in the trailers (but to be honest the bar has been set crazy high by The Raid/The Raid 2).

Also I'm totally with Cameron on that Drax 'whore' line ruined things. Every joke with or about Drax was how literally he took everything, but he hasn't seen Gamora do anything sexual for money! Maybe that was a subplot that was cut, like there was a "whoops Gamora and Star lord are naked and someone walks in and got the wrong idea" scene and that started a running joke about what kind of relationship they had and this was the big culminating "joke", but even then I think it'd still would be weird and out of place.