Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:18 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:23 am 
Staff

Biz and Theresa explore the ways our consumption of news stories has changed since we've had kids. Hint: it's gotten kinda hard. Also, riding high from the first day of kindergarten and too much coffee, Biz experiences some beautiful moments of parenting clarity! Which we obviously indulge because -- let's face it -- clarity about parenting can be elusive as all hell. Plus, we find out how to make Theresa punch a kitchen cabinet!

Episode 69: Is Any News Good News?

How 'bout you? Do you watch the news? Read it? Listen to it on a daily basis? How have your consumption habits changed (or not) since having kids?

Does the news *feel* any different, from the perspective of a parent? Or is that bullshit?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:41 pm 
New Kid

I suppose it could be just the Biz and I have kids the same age but the episodes recently have been weirdly reflective of my own life. My son is about to start kindergarten in 2 weeks and he has started really picking up on the news. I listen to NPR morning and evening (and get other news during the day online, though mostly through sort of junky sites like Gawker so I have to have my NPR to make sure I know what's really going on!) and lately my boy will comment every time he hears "dead" or "died" on the news, which as you know is ALL THE TIME. I have started to turn it off more since I don't want him to be sad all the time. And yet - this is the world we live in. I don't want to over-shelter him either.

He was part of a book club at his pre-school and a few weeks ago he came home and started talking about a book they read in class. he said it was about a man who wanted everything to be fair and at the end they killed him. and at first I was like HOLY COW WTF are they reading at school but then he started talking about buses and I asked him did he mean Martin Luther King, Jr? and he did. and he has not stopped talking about that book or about MLK and asking me why did they kill him? I saw the teacher at school and said my son was very affected by that book and she said all the kids were and they all went home and talked about it, which never happened with any other book they read. so, long story long way of saying - I think at this age (5) the kids are very interested in the world, and in fairness, and now is the perfect time to start talking to them about MLK (so good job, Biz! using Ferguson as teachable moment and all that!)

At the same time, I have no good answer for "why did they kill MLK?" I told him it was because the system was unfair but that meant for some people life was easier for them. that is how unfairness tends to work. and the people who are benefiting from the unfairness do not want things to change. and that is basically why they killed him. what do you think? what would you say?

Lastly, sorry for the long reply but since having kids even commercials make me cry so the ay I hear the news totally affects me even more now. I also think, "that was someone's baby" and get myself all worked up. do you suppose that lasts forever or does it fade when the babies are grown?

you are both doing a good job and I hope you feel better, Theresa! xo E

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:14 pm 
Talent!
Talent!

Oh man, that is one hell of a preschool book. I feel like they could have picked one without the death scene. Yikes! Of course, it is true and it is probably good for kids to know about death so it doesn't surprise them. I think you did a good job talking to your son. That is a crazy hard question. I have to admit, I have sometimes just flat out said, "There are some people in the world that are just filled with hate and do hateful, mean things. That is why we must always try to be kind to everyone." I hate for Katy Belle to try to wrap her brain around one person killing another person. I don't like thinking of it myself. WE started to watch Indiana Jones with KB and suddenly found ourselves trying to explain Nazis. We didn't finish the movie. HA HA HA!

My Mama grew up in Yazoo City, MS. When I was about 5 or 6 years old, she took me to our basement and pulled out a sign she had saved from back then. It was a "Colored Only" sign. She basically said there was a time when people were treated totally differently because of the color of their skin. She wanted me to see the sign so I understood. She said "We do not believe this." It was very effective. Other than that, we figured out that everyone was equal because nothing was ever said to the contrary in our house, so it always surprised us (like idiots) when we saw crap going on.

What a mess.

Bottomline, good job addressing it. I have friends who won't talk about anything unpleasant with their kids. Like guns. No talk or shows or toys with guns, then their kid one day turned to KB while playing and pointed his finger like a bad guy on CSI and said "I'm gonna teach you a lesson. Bam bam bam!" It meant nothing to him. Point is...not talking about scary stuff can sometimes leave our kids unprepared. So GOOD JOB!!!!

Biz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:52 pm 
New Kid

Not going to lie - I wish they had warned me they were going to be talking death. it was right around when my grandmother died, too, so the poor little guy had death on the brain for a while.

still and all - I try really hard not to lie to him and it was a big test that I sort of think I passed? or not - his shrink can decide in 30 years, ha!

that is really amazing that your mama did that. good for her. she sounds great. I am sad every day that that stuff went on and is STILL going on. and sadder that there are actual, real people in my life who think there is no such thing as racism and we should all be over slavery and segregation by now. not to be all political on your group, sorry! but drives me to tears, almost.

anyhow, thanks for the encouragement, I surely do appreciate it!

I hope Katy Belle is enjoying her first days at kindergarten. my boy starts next week, yipes!

xo E