Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:03 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:19 pm 
Staff

Steffen brings the case against his dad, Brian. Steffen enjoys spending time with his family, but says too much of their "together" time is based around pool parties. Steffen doesn't care for swimming or laying out, and wants the family to do more indoor activities together. Brian says pool time is a great way for the family to bond.

Who will win? Jock or nerd?? Only Judge Hodgman can decide!

Judge John Hodgman Episode 174: Unreasonable Scorch and Leisure

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:52 pm 
New Kid

The judge is incorrect. It should have been "my girl friend and I", because forms of "to be" do not have objects. They signal equality, so the case of both nouns should be nominative (or subjective, if you went to public school). It is not grammatically correct to say "This is me", because it would be incorrect to say "Me am this." Rather, one should say "This is I" or "I am this".

The issue that confuses him is that in English, we often substitute me for I when we want to add emphasis. For example, when asked "Who said that?" one would respond "me" when the grammatically correct response would be "I" as in "I said that."

The other "rule" (you should not put yourself first) is just a measure of politeness, not a grammar rule. So, while it sounds strange in polite society to say "me and my girlfriend", it is not technically incorrect. However, "I and my girlfriend" would sound quite strange, again because "I" is not considered to have the proper emphatic cadence to put it first.