Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:37 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:35 pm 
Talent!
Talent!

This week on an unconventional Sawbones, Dr. Sydnee and Justin tell the story of why it took them a week to get their baby out of the hospital.

Download MP3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:37 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

The permission not to listen at the beginning was a bit surprising, I hadn't realized all the other episodes were mandatory! I'll have to keep that in mind...

Goofs aside, really great episode. Thank you for sharing your story. <3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:28 pm 
New Kid

I thought I was 100% on board with "Charlie" as a name for a baby girl, but I guess I wasn't because I'm somehow even more in favor of it now that I've heard you guys call her "Chuck".

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:15 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

YES, can't believe I forgot to mention that in my comment, super well done guys.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:27 pm 
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad

One: I listened to this today, and, holy wow, I'm glad everyone is OK.

Two: I guess I watch too much hospital TV (really I only watch one hospital TV show) because I totally thought the NICU was all terrified parents, all the time.

Three: Chuck makes me think of Pushing Daisies, which I love!

Four: Now that y'all are no longer pregnant, what about an episode on miscarriage? I don't think there has been one already, and so many women have no idea how common it is and not a personal failing. Plus I'm sure there's TONS of medical wrongness in history related to miscarriage. (Although probably a lot is horrifying.)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:37 am 
New Kid

Wow, this episode really brought back the scary memories of my own daughter's birth. Really, a bit of a challenging episode to listen to for me. And I'm just the dad.

I also remember watching my baby to make sure she was still breathing.

Glad that Charlie is OK.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:32 pm 
New Kid

This was a really moving episode. You guys really got to the core of how it feels when things go wrong with your new baby. I know exactly that feeling Sydnee is talking about - the pure unadulterated NEED to hold your baby. The feeling that you would bust through a brick wall if you knew your little one was on the other side.

I teared up when you mentioned not being able to feed your baby that one day. That must have been so awful. The fact that you persevered through all that and successfully established breastfeeding is amazing. You rock mama!

And totally empathize with the pressures to hit milestones from hospital staff. My daughter had a lot of difficulty latching at first. I had multiple nurses and LCs trying to help and because my little girl was SGA they gave her donor milk after 24 hours, and ultimately she had a few bottles of formula before my milk finally came in. To top it off one of the nurses wrote in my chart that I was "awkward with infant". Nice!

Thank you so much for this episode. I hope it empowers others to be as proactive as you were.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:35 pm 
New Kid

Attachment:
File comment: Baby's Prom Picture
IsabellaProm.jpg
IsabellaProm.jpg [ 66.72 KiB | Viewed 386 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Baby's Prom Picture
IsabellaProm.jpg
IsabellaProm.jpg [ 66.72 KiB | Viewed 386 times ]
I have attached a picture of my baby Isabella, age 16 going to the Prom. You will be there VERY soon! She is an Honors/AP Student, plays all of the percussion instruments but prefers the quads for marching band and wants to be a PresSchool Teacher/Early Childhood Researcher. Isa is very popular, funny, active ----

I went into my 3rd delivery expecting a piece of cake, instead it was surprise, placenta previa, emergency section, she was blue, BUT went from an Apgar 1 to a 9 very quickly. I had mild depression afterwards, I felt gyped - but she was so happy & alert - and the world needs more LERTS!

It never leaves you, there is nothing my Husband won't do for her - I couldn't breast feed or have that skin contact like with the others, but she is just as attached & plugged into the family as the rest of them!

You will be great parents because it is apparent to all of us that you are great friends, and that is what makes a great marriage & family -

Take time & read the extra story, hold her all the time because she won't get spoiled by it and if she does SO WHAT?

:) Mel