PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:06 pm 
Site Admin

Of Fugazi, co-creator of Burn to Shine.

Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:37 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I should really start waiting until I've actually heard the show in question to comment, but I love Fugazi and Burn to Shine sounds like a really cool concept. I was considering buying one of the DVDs before- I might actually do so now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:26 am 
Site Admin

AllisonLeGnome wrote:
I should really start waiting until I've actually heard the show in question to comment, but I love Fugazi and Burn to Shine sounds like a really cool concept. I was considering buying one of the DVDs before- I might actually do so now.

He was really wonderful, I thought. A really interesting guy who was very open with me and very funny.

By the way -- anyone here know the rock & roll internet world better than I? Want to street team this show a little? Send it to some bloggers and websites that are appropriate? I would, but I don't have any idea where to begin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:42 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Jesse, why don't you send it to some of the blogs on the Hype Machine?
Look up blogs who have posted Fugazi songs in the past; they might be interested in linking to the interview.
You could also slip in a link on his Brendan's wikipedia page, as you are wont to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:47 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Punknews.org has a pretty large audience, and there's a pretty good chance they would post it. Chances are it would find its way around from there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:09 am 
Site Admin

AllisonLeGnome wrote:
Punknews.org has a pretty large audience, and there's a pretty good chance they would post it. Chances are it would find its way around from there.

Thanks Allison. If you have any other ideas, send that link out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:35 am 
New Kid

Excellent interview as always.

I like Fugazi a lot, but was really disappointed with BtS #1. I probably built it up too much prior to seeing it, since Ted Leo and Q and Not U are favorites of mine, but I was left with a real "That was it?" feeling. It's a clever idea, I guess, but the performances in #1 aren't terribly consistent and are sometimes pretty dull. Probably part of it is that most live footage is boring anyway and the static feel of a performance with no live audience and limited camera positioning capability doesn't help.

That said, I'll Netflix the Portland one since it's got another list of some great groups (Mirah, Thermals, Quasi are personal favorites), but my expectations are pretty low.

Most of the reviews and response to this series of films have been so positive. Am I missing something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:56 pm 
Maximum Funster

I had some issues with the first one as well, but I came around to it. You just have to buy in to Canty's idea that this is one day, one performance from each band, and that the whole point is that the experience can never be replicated. There are a few clunkers on it, but also some great ones (there's something about watching an older Bob Mould sing "Hoover Dam" solo in a cold, empty living room that gets to me).

Anyway, if you buy into all that, Portland's pretty good. Sleater-Kinney's performance is interesting to watch in light of the fact that they broke up not long after the DVD came out. There's also a great "oh shit" moment with the band The Ready.

I haven't seen the Chicago one.