All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:36 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Jesse wrote:
Or was that a sarcastic question?

Not sarcasm at all.

I was thinking of Mr. Gower, the old druggist from It's a Wonderful Life who boxes a young George Bailey's ears at the soda shop towards the beginning of the movie. I can definitely imagine Dr. Pepper coming from a place like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:43 pm 
Site Admin

PatrickM wrote:
I grew up in Texas and moved to Chicago and then New York, so I had never heard of Abba Zabba until I heard the Tom Waits song, "Chocolate Jesus", which has these verses in it:

I don't want no Abba Zabba
Don't want no Almond Joy
There ain't nothing better
Suitable for this boy

It's the only thing that can pick me up
Better than a Cup of Gold
Only a Chocolate Jesus
Can satisfy my soul

...so when I was in California a few years ago and I saw an Abba Zabba at a gas station, it felt like my heart was going to pee itself.
I bought one and ate it in the car and I must say: as good as the Abba Zabba was, it did not reach its Platonic Ideal, as represented by the song.

Thus, I posit: no matter how good a candy bar is, it can never be as good as hearing Tom Waits say the name of that candy bar.

Once you know this, it will help you save one million dollars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:53 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

JohnBigBoots wrote:
Lemon Heads are my personal favorite because I live near the Ferrara Pan Company and Lemon Heads make the neighborhood smell all lemony goodness.

I read this statement and immediately had to register and post. Your neighborhood smells like Lemon Heads?!? You, sir, are living my dream life. Now I must move to Chicago.

Also, re: Katamari Damacy, The One True Video Game. I bought a Playstation 2 last year. I have a total of two games: Katamari Damacy and We (Heart) Katamari. I have no need of any other games. And the soundtrack CDs for both games are well worth the cost of shipping them from Japan.

And have you seen the earmuffs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:00 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

It might be worth noting here that I had a marshmallow Take 5 today, and it was pretty good. I think the normal ones are better, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:48 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

AllisonLeGnome wrote:
It might be worth noting here that I had a marshmallow Take 5 today, and it was pretty good. I think the normal ones are better, though.

Does the marshmallow replace the pretzel in that Take 5? Cause that seems to go against the entire premise of the candy bar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:14 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Followerofthehawk wrote:
AllisonLeGnome wrote:

Does the marshmallow replace the pretzel in that Take 5? Cause that seems to go against the entire premise of the candy bar.

No, it replaced the caramel, I think. I still haven't tried the peanut butter version, actually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:35 am 
Maximum Funster

So I'm listening to Episode 11 as I'm searching through World Market to find some exotic sweets for my sweetie, and what do I see but an Abba Zabba bar! Well, with that sort of coincidence I had no choice but to give it a shot. While I thought the marshmallow and the peanut butter tasted good together, I nearly broke my jaw trying to chew it. Not a bad candy bar, but not worthy of being in the Top 5. Sorry.

Check out my podcast at www.wingsforwheels.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:43 am 
Site Admin

dslifton wrote:
So I'm listening to Episode 11 as I'm searching through World Market to find some exotic sweets for my sweetie, and what do I see but an Abba Zabba bar! Well, with that sort of coincidence I had no choice but to give it a shot. While I thought the marshmallow and the peanut butter tasted good together, I nearly broke my jaw trying to chew it. Not a bad candy bar, but not worthy of being in the Top 5. Sorry.

One of the hazards of an Abba Zabba is that if it is stale, it is hard. Fresh AZ are not nearly as hard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:54 am 
New Kid

What about the mighty NUTRAGEOUS?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:53 pm 
Maximum Funster

Jesse wrote:
One of the hazards of an Abba Zabba is that if it is stale, it is hard. Fresh AZ are not nearly as hard.

I guess you have a greater chance of running that risk the further you get from SF...

Check out my podcast at www.wingsforwheels.net