Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:38 am

All times are UTC

Which arrangement for the 2007 archive page?
Chronological 54%  54%  [ 13 ]
Alphabetical 46%  46%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 24
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:02 am 
Site Admin

given that shows are now one-guest-only, is an alphabetical by guest arrangement, or a chronological arrangement better for the archive?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:24 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

I voted chronological, just because I sometimes forget the guest's name, but I know when I listened to it, so it's a lot more convenient for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:45 pm 
Maximum Funster

I have the opposite problem; I know a specific interview I want to listen to again, but can't remember exactly when I first heard it. Alphabetical archiving might also be more convenient for new listeners who just want to find interview subjects they've heard of/like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:15 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

What I did when I was podcasting my radio show was to have a category in my blog. That category had its own xml feed (I was using Movable Type and the MT Enclosures plugin) which was sent along to Feedburner. This way all entries would be arranged by date but be easily searchable through the search function. There can also be subcategories (comedians, musicians, etc). This also helps because you could publish the podcast with the TSOYA blog. You could make all the old episodes blog entries and backdate them to their airdate, and that way they'd be searchable with the blog (because really the podcast, blog, message board, tv station, and all other forms of communication are really branches of the same thing and they should be integral to each other, no?) The blog entry would be the podcast's description. Maybe this is a bigger change than your question but that's one way to do it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:08 pm 
Site Admin

arcuRADIO wrote:
What I did when I was podcasting my radio show was to have a category in my blog. That category had its own xml feed (I was using Movable Type and the MT Enclosures plugin) which was sent along to Feedburner. This way all entries would be arranged by date but be easily searchable through the search function. There can also be subcategories (comedians, musicians, etc). This also helps because you could publish the podcast with the TSOYA blog. You could make all the old episodes blog entries and backdate them to their airdate, and that way they'd be searchable with the blog (because really the podcast, blog, message board, tv station, and all other forms of communication are really branches of the same thing and they should be integral to each other, no?) The blog entry would be the podcast's description. Maybe this is a bigger change than your question but that's one way to do it

Yeah, this is pretty much what I'll be doing when the site redesign is done, but right now, I'm using "old" blogger, which doesn't even offer categories. And I can't upgrade to "new" blogger because... well... who knows, it won't let me, even though it's always taunting me with a big ad saying I should upgrade now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:16 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Daniel Webster had the same quandry. But he was a dick.