Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:52 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:47 pm 
Staff

Tim and Eric are known for the surreal and uncomfortable comedy in their sketch show Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!. They also promoted Shrek 3 without permission from the movie studio. Now, they've made a billion dollar movie of their own. Cartoonist Roz Chast explains some of her day-to-day fears like balloons, water, and sitting on the ground. Plus a section from God's memoir (as dictated to comedy writer David Javerbaum) and Jesse suggests Randy Newman in his outshot.

Bullseye with Jesse Thorn: Rap Recommendations, Tim & Eric, Cartoonist Roz Chast, and God's Favorite Things

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:53 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

This episode samples "Bullseye!" from Tim & Eric's "Tairy Greene Machine" sketch, so right off the bat it gets an A+ from me

edit: and wow, I didn't expect a proper interview with Tim and Eric. This is why Bullseye is the truth!

I think my first exposure to TSOYA and Maximum Fun was the video interview you did with them where they kept talking about .DELL files. Magnificent!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:18 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Not sure how you got Tim and Eric to do a real interview, but good on ya! Great job!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:28 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Is this the same E-40's son who rapped like 4 bars on one of 40's late 90's albums (I want to say Hall of Game but it may have been Element of Surprise) as a 6-year old? If so, I'm sold. And if not, I still liked it anyways.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:03 am 
Site Admin

Someone re-blogged my outshot on Tumblr with this comment:
Quote:
I didn’t think much of Randy Newman until I heard this and especially the song Sail Away. Now I know he’s a genius.

which was pretty much my goal.

Maybe one day I'll do an outshot just for the song "My Life Is Good," and specifically Bruce Springsteen's line, "Ran, I'm tired. Will you be the Boss for a while?"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:48 pm 
Jesse's Golden Eagles
Jesse's Golden Eagles

I have a real weird relationship with Tim & Eric's comedy. I absolutely loved Tom Goes to the Mayor. Awesome Show is a super mixed bag for me, the awkwardness can get SO intense. This interview made me appreciate their work on Awesome Show a lot more.

Also, the Noz picks are the best. I look forward to the Noz segments :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:30 pm 
Maximum Funster

The fist T&E interview was what got me into TSOYA originally.

This one is even better. I've read/listened a ton of T&E interviews and this one is by far the most coherent and enlightening, and still also funny. GREAT JOB!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:51 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Another fantastic episode - I can't get over how much more special this is even than the thing I already loved. More than the sum of its parts. It actually made me want to check out Tim & Eric's show, and the Randy Newman essay was so satisfying and persuasive. Like other people have said, I now feel like I get what's great about him.

I have a complaint, which is the Pyramid Vritra clip was super annoying to listen to with the unreal amount of bleeping. It sounded like he was rapping in martian. (to be fair it did give me *some* sense of Pyramid Vritra.) I don't have any ideas for a solution: I love Noz and his picks, and wouldn't want him to be restricted to marginally radio-compatible ones. My selfish wish would be for an uncensored podcast version, but I know that's a huge amount of added work when your focus needs to be on radio.

One of the funniest strings of words ever said on public radio must be "I'm a Vampire by Cousin Fik featuring Droopy"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:58 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Also, I see a spinoff podcast: Roz and Noz! Cocaine blunts and anxiety!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:08 pm 
New Kid

Jesse, is Simon named after the Randy Newman song? Because that would be very, very cool.