Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:04 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:10 pm 
Maximum Funster

Hey guys? I got so excited that Alyson Hannigan was a lesbian after Cameron said it sooo confidently. Turns out she's not. I can't tell if it was a joke or just she sincerely got mixed up about who Alyson Hannigan was. Anyway, Cameron was a charming delight. Really funny. I loved this episode.
ALSO MIKE SCHMIDT IS COMING SOON?!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:23 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

nicolefromsask wrote:
Hey guys? I got so excited that Alyson Hannigan was a lesbian after Cameron said it sooo confidently. Turns out she's not. I can't tell if it was a joke or just she sincerely got mixed up about who Alyson Hannigan was.

Was Alyson Hannigan's character on Buffy a lesbian? I haven't actually seen it, but I vaguely recall that being a thing that happened. That's what I assumed Cameron was referring to.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:38 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, I think her lady on Buffy was a lesbian.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:11 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Wait, Jesse recommended Downton Abbey a year and a half ago? How did I miss that? I started watching in Oct after ep. 196 with Elizabeth Laime, and then there was the Bullseye debut in Jan... Which one of us has a terrible memory?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:14 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Jesse wrote:
I really know nothing about Van Halen. You're gonna have to wait until the next time Mike Schmidt comes by (soon!) for that.

Came to talk about Downton Abbey, then I saw this....

YES!

I just listened to his appearance on the Gentleman's Club and thought that I need another JJGo appearance by the man.

As for Downton Abbey, my partner and I have been more critical of season 2's soap opera-y multiplying storylines. The defence I offered was that everything happening to the characters undoubtedly actually happened to real people in similar situations. Only, the show is making these events happen to the same small set of people. I suggest making it through season 2, but I will be watching warily come season 3.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:24 am 
Maximum Funster

Jesse wrote:
Yeah, I think her lady on Buffy was a lesbian.

Ah, understandable. There's a shortage of cool attractive lesbians in entertainment, I get overly-excited.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:22 am 
Site Admin

lydia_may_crowe wrote:
1. I loved Justin the Intern's continued, muffled involvement in this episode!

Why thank you! It was tons of fun just being in the room. :oops:

To defend my stance a bit re: The X-Files (and when to stop watching), honestly it has more to do with being a fan of the show than a staunch defender of my hometown. Seemingly everything gets filmed in Vancouver nowadays, but back in peak years of The X-Files this was hardly the case. The Northwest rain forest climate gave the show a distinct look and was very much a part of the visual tone of the show. All of this went out the window with the move to Los Angeles after the movie, as the show started to look like everything else on TV -- which just so happened to coincide with the rapidly diminishing quality of the scripts.

Now Patrick is correct, there are definitely some worthwhile episodes in Season 6, but after that it's all terrible. I'd argue if you stop watching after the movie, you really aren't missing out on much.

And I don't care what Jordan says, the sentient killer poutine episode is one of the best Monsters of the Week.

Last edited by JustinMoris on Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:58 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

artvander wrote:
Was Alyson Hannigan's character on Buffy a lesbian? I haven't actually seen it, but I vaguely recall that being a thing that happened. That's what I assumed Cameron was referring to.

I don't think Willow (Hannigan's character) ever explicitly came out as a lesbian, but her primary romantic arc was with a woman (Tara). This occurs after her relationship with a male werewolf. Basically, dating Seth Green (the aforementioned werewolf) turned Willow gay (I may be misremembering that part).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:09 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Jesse wrote:
I really know nothing about Van Halen. You're gonna have to wait until the next time Mike Schmidt comes by (soon!) for that.

I really know way too much about Van Halen, especially considering they haven't released a decent album since 1984 (note: haven't heard the new record, Space Train or Robot Cock or whatever).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:38 am 
New Kid

As newly-out transgender woman, I'm rooting for Momentous Occasion caller taking her first dose of lady pills. But even I'm not sure which is more amazing: The celebration of lady pills, or the old man in heelys.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:08 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

JustinMoris wrote:
lydia_may_crowe wrote:
1. I loved Justin the Intern's continued, muffled involvement in this episode!

Why thank you! It was tons of fun just being in the room. :oops:

To defend my stance a bit re: The X-Files (and when to stop watching), honestly it has more to do with being a fan of the show than a staunch defender of my hometown. Seemingly everything gets filmed in Vancouver nowadays, but back in peak years of The X-Files this was hardly the case. The Northwest rain forest climate gave the show a distinct look and was very much a part of the visual tone of the show. All of this went out the window with the move to Los Angeles after the movie, as the show started to look like everything else on TV -- which just so happened to coincide with the rapidly diminishing quality of the scripts.

Now Patrick is correct, there are definitely some worthwhile episodes in Season 6, but after that it's all terrible. I'd argue if you stop watching after the movie, you really aren't missing out on much.

And I don't care what Jordan says, the sentient killer poutine episode is one of the best Monsters of the Week.

I also appreciated your interventions, Justin. It was quite unprecedented and risky, but it was great. It's also great to see you interacting on here.

Big thumbs up!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:11 am 
Maximum Funster

I get that they have to act excited about their sponsors, but I've read about that stackable soap in several different places, and I gotta wonder, am I the only one who absolutely cannot relate to the problem it's designed to solve? Slivers of soap aren't convex. They're flat and can be easily reshaped to smoosh against the surface of the next bar of soap without any trouble. Though I will admit that many times my OCD has caused me to bemoan to myself that you can never really have a new, perfectly shaped bar of soap, because there's always a hump on the top from the previous bar's sliver being smooshed onto it. Still, clever idea and all, and I'd be glad if my soap of choice were to adopt that design, but I wouldn't change soaps just to have that design.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:33 am 
Diamond Friendship Circle
Diamond Friendship Circle

I'm with you, Archduke. My bars are rectangular, and slivers are pretty flexible. So I've never had a problem melding soap.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:35 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Really, reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally liked Cameron on the show. A++, 10/10, all the gold stars.

I liked hearing Justin on the show too. Set him up with an intern mic though, Who Charted style. Let's keep this audio profesh.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:26 am 
Maximum Funster

Archduke Chocula wrote:
I get that they have to act excited about their sponsors, but I've read about that stackable soap in several different places, and I gotta wonder, am I the only one who absolutely cannot relate to the problem it's designed to solve? Slivers of soap aren't convex. They're flat and can be easily reshaped to smoosh against the surface of the next bar of soap without any trouble. Though I will admit that many times my OCD has caused me to bemoan to myself that you can never really have a new, perfectly shaped bar of soap, because there's always a hump on the top from the previous bar's sliver being smooshed onto it. Still, clever idea and all, and I'd be glad if my soap of choice were to adopt that design, but I wouldn't change soaps just to have that design.

I think the idea is that it's not a corporation trying to suck money out of you. It's a fun upstart that wants likeminded, innovative, creative people on board from the ground level. I'm not a rep of the company, but I think the fact that they're choosing to sponsor something like Maximum Fun rather than a more traditional, less personal form of advertising is their real appeal. It's not necessarily the strategy that will get the most money, but it's a strategy that can build a demographic of customers who feel a sense of community and integrity in who they choose to do business with.