Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:26 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:01 pm 
Staff

Author and comedian Baratunde Thurston talks about how to be black, whether it's in high school at Sidwell Friends, in college at Harvard, or while working at The Onion. His satirical self-help book and memoir is called -- that's right! -- 'How to Be Black'. Plus Chuck Bryant and Josh Clark -- hosts of the podcast 'Stuff You Should Know' -- introduce us to Lucha Libre (also known as Mexican professional wrestling!) and Mark Frauenfelder of Boing Boing recommends a better night's sleep and more.

Bullseye with Jesse Thorn: Baratunde Thurston, Mark Frauenfelder, Stuff You Should Know

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:24 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Baratunde Thurston was great. He'd be hilarious as a guest on JJGo even.

Did I miss something, or did Jesse not mispronounce "Public Radio International"?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:39 pm 
Staff

Quote:
Did I miss something, or did Jesse not mispronounce "Public Radio International"?

Listen carefully. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:31 am 
Maximum Funster

Yessssss.
I couldn't be happier about the dogs from SYSK popping up time And again in te max funiverse. I'm gonna listen to this one, and I heard em on MBMBaM that one time. I didn't miss any appearances, did I?

Addendum::
Any chance these guys'd be into doing JJGO? I'd go bananas if I heard Josh and Chuck cussing and talking about dingalings.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:00 pm 
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad

What a treat! This is the Baratunde Thurston interview I was hoping to hear when he was on Fresh Air several weeks back.

You've done it Jesse. You have out-Terry'd Terry YET AGAIN.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:43 pm 
Site Admin

We'd love to have Josh and Chuck on JJGo, but they're in Atlanta.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:18 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Don't speak in such a mocking, derisive tone about Deep Space Nine and its boosters, Jesse! We won't take it sitting down! Free Avery Brooks!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:10 am 
Site Admin

Honestly, I'm talking about my high school AP US History teacher, who was constantly talking about Deep Space 9 in class.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:02 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Around the 37 minute mark there are two layers of audio with different things going on. The one is the end to a segment with Baratunde Thurston, the other begins with an ad for a women's comedy festival. The dueling audio lasted for about a minute or so.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:04 pm 
Site Admin

concrete-tales wrote:
Around the 37 minute mark there are two layers of audio with different things going on. The one is the end to a segment with Baratunde Thurston, the other begins with an ad for a women's comedy festival. The dueling audio lasted for about a minute or so.

This was corrected - only a few people who downloaded right away got this version. But thanks for letting us know - it's always appreciated, because we do miss stuff sometimes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:02 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

The Atlantic Wire on the Onion's pending return to Chicago:

Quote:
Sources inside the company tell The Atlantic Wire that of the 16 full-time members of The Onion's editorial staff, including editorial operations, writers, editors and the graphics/photo team, only five have agreed to make the move—a transition that will leave behind a slew of veteran staffers such as top editor Joe Randazzo, features editor Joe Garden, head of digital Baratunde Thurston, and photo, graphics and design editors Colin Tierney, Michael Faisca and Nick Gallo
In December, after ignoring the management's November deadline, the editors and writers rallied behind a plan, hatched by The Onion's digital director Baratunde Thurston, to look for someone to buy The Onion from its current owner, David Schafer. Thurston, according to sources familiar with the negotiations, found a willing buyer in the New York-based technology firm Betaworks, which has backed Twitter client TweetDeck, URL shortener Bit.ly and web analytics service Chartbeat. "They were an ideal buyer because you had this nurturing technology company that would let us expand in New York and do the things we wanted to do," said an editorial staffer.

Schafer considered the Betaworks offer for two weeks, said a separate editorial staffer, before ultimately deciding to turn it down. He declined to comment. Betaworks CEO John Borthwick said simply, "We have no comment on this inquiry." Without addressing the deal directly, CEO Steve Hannah said "If you're suggesting he spent two weeks of his time thinking about any offer, it just hasn't happened." He added that The Onion receives inbound interest from people nearly every week.