Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:48 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:07 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

"Don't Google it!" really applies to that round of Would You Rathers.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:28 pm 
Diamond Friendship Circle

I really enjoy Bryan's horrified "WHAT?!" that happened right after Erin said, "From waste to mouth!"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:14 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I love Bryan's take on Partners/The New Normal almost as much as I loved Erin's ching-chong punishment to Bryan this week. Also, TSpod got written up in the A.V. Club's Podmass last week and am I the only one who thinks it's a pretty bad review?

Quote:
NEW (TO US)
Throwing Shade
Fans of Will & Grace who wish they could listen to Jack and Karen discuss major issues as well as everyday minutiae will find much to love in Throwing Shade. If that situation sounds like one of the outer circles of hell, then this podcast is not for you. Lacking any sort of filter, UCB veterans Erin Gibson and Bryan Safi are equal-opportunity offenders, discussing current events with a politically incorrect sense of humor. The two cover a broad variety of material, and in the last month, their conversation topics have ranged from Ella Fitzgerald to gay-marriage laws. They have great banter, often taking potshots at the other’s expense, but their conversations frequently stray off topic. The best moments are when Gibson and Safi become passionate about a serious political issue, like Representative Todd Akin’s “legitimate rape” comment, which allows them to focus their shared cattiness on a single topic. Their aggressively energetic personalities give the show a bit of a morning shock-jock feel, if shock jocks spent even more time talking about genitals. [OS]

Throwing Shade is maybe my favorite MaxFuncast, but I do not want to listen to what they just described.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:45 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

nowah wrote:
Throwing Shade is maybe my favorite MaxFuncast, but I do not want to listen to what they just described.

Agreed. I said as much in the comments section below the article.

However, i sympathize as i have trouble figuring out how to introduce all my friends from Planned Parenthood and the Houston Area Women's Center to TSPod. My comedy friends wouldn't have any trouble getting on-board. New listeners who are activists and passionate about these issues, without previous consumption of improv, may be unable or unwilling to adapt to the sophisticated comedy Bryan and Erin bring each week. I even had one friend who's a huge fan of Community and Parks & Rec say she didn't "get" TSPod.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:47 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Oh man, listening to this weeks episode right now and Erin's fake maxfunday operator voice is one of the most off putting things I've ever heard. I want to crawl out of my own skin.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:02 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

luvrhino wrote:
However, i sympathize as i have trouble figuring out how to introduce all my friends from Planned Parenthood and the Houston Area Women's Center to TSPod. My comedy friends wouldn't have any trouble getting on-board. New listeners who are activists and passionate about these issues, without previous consumption of improv, may be unable or unwilling to adapt to the sophisticated comedy Bryan and Erin bring each week. I even had one friend who's a huge fan of Community and Parks & Rec say she didn't "get" TSPod.

The reviewer uses references that I think are misleading at best (Will & Grace) and irresponsible at worst (shock jock). They're trying to take two separate cultural archetypes and find a way to express that Bryan y Erin have shades of both in their rapport because those both separately probably appealing comparisons for A.V. Club readers but combined they feel to me, a devoted shader, like an unfair overgeneralization of the podcast.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:22 pm 

So, are the live episodes going to be uploaded to the donors feed as they plop?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:42 pm 
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad

The codebreaker those Tweeterers were referring to was Alan Turing, an incredible man who was treated terribly by his country in return for his work against the Nazis. He also laid the foundation for computer science and built one of the first computers. Neal Stephenson's novel Cryptonomicon has a wonderful portrayal of Turing and his work; that's how I learned about him. A great read!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:20 pm 

lydia_may_crowe wrote:
The codebreaker those Tweeterers were referring to was Alan Turing, an incredible man who was treated terribly by his country in return for his work against the Nazis. He also laid the foundation for computer science and built one of the first computers. Neal Stephenson's novel Cryptonomicon has a wonderful portrayal of Turing and his work; that's how I learned about him. A great read!

also
http://www.radiolab.org/blogs/radiolab- ... ng-problem

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:47 pm 
New Kid

Hey guys! Tickets to the Philly show are up for sale! We'd love to see you!

http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/293483

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:21 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Hi! I bought tickets for the 9:30 show, but it lists the start time as 9. I'm confuzzled.

The End

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:56 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Dear Bryan and Erin,

Please come to DC!
Thanks a bundle.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:50 pm 

Bryan drives the same car as me! Makes me sad to find out my car is homophobic. I never would have guessed. But I guess I haven't driven any gay people in it lately.

Jeffrey's Diane Sawyer impression sounds like Tom Waits. I approve.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:13 am 
New Kid

Erin's Oompa Loompa song is one of the greatest things I've ever heard.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:26 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

If you didn't make it to any of the live shows, you fucked up, and I mean BIG time. Bryan and Erin are natural performers and really fed off the audience. They did three fuckin' hilarious, grossly charming shows in as many nights. I can't praise them highly enough.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next