Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:39 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:35 pm 
Site Admin

Michael and Patrick have been best friends since high school. Michael likes to think of himself as Patrick's wingman, helping alert him to interested ladies when they're out together. Patrick thinks his friend lacks the subtlety to be a wingman and also misjudges politeness for romantic interest. Is Michael helping his friend find love and happiness, or is he steering him in the wrong direction?

Listen to episode 57 of Judge John Hodgman here!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:45 pm 
New Kid

The Judge was incorrect saying that entry can be gained to the Met for nothing. Although a voluntary donation is asked upon entrants, I was denied access when I tried to gain entry to the Cloisters museum, an entity of the Met with an identical and reciprocal voluntary donation policy. On that day, I had been out enjoying the weather with no plans to do anything that would cost money and had not brought my wallet or any form of currency. In the words of the cashier, "you have to give me SOMETHING."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:54 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

May I say I love the Judge's pronunciation of "douchey"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:44 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I honestly expected them to look like trolls. These two guys are so adorable.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:37 pm 
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad

These guys are just a couple of characters. I loved the Judge's running joke about Patrick's long-windedness. Also "douchey." I'm going to start saying it that way.

Also, Patrick's accent is terrific and I like how Michael enunciates all his "t"s. Great podcast voices!

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:53 am 
New Kid

If I had taken a shot every time Michael answered another yes/no question with "Precisely!" I'd have been drunk by the end, and found it much less annoying! :D

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:41 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

If ever an episode needed an injection of Adam the bat killer, it was this one. At one point my headphones came out of the jack during one of Patrick's endless soliloquies and I thought for a second that maybe the podcast had an error in it and was almost relieved for a second. I didn't even remember what the case was about by the end of it, something to do with debates of ages and exact wording of sentences and hairlines. Kudos to the honorable Judge John Hodgman for making an attempt to keep things moving forward.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:24 pm 
Site Admin

Always the people who just signed up for the forum who complain about the people who were nice enough to share their time to entertain them for free.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:52 pm 
New Kid

PortlandMark wrote:
If I had taken a shot every time Michael answered another yes/no question with "Precisely!" I'd have been drunk by the end, and found it much less annoying! :D

If I took a shot every time you hurt my feelings over the internet, I would have taken one (1) shot.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:54 pm 
New Kid

Also, I don't drink and never have, so it could potentially ruin my whole life. I hope you're happy with yourself, PortlandMark.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:07 pm 
Site Admin

Michael Williamson wrote:
PortlandMark wrote:

If I took a shot every time you hurt my feelings over the internet, I would have taken one (1) shot.

And who is the winner here?

Hint: not the rando who started the fight by whining.

(It is Michael. Michael one by entertaining us all and then being very clever on the internet.)

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:18 pm 
New Kid

Jesse, you are a true gentleman. Excuse me while I blush very slightly.

And to speak for Patrick, he was actually a little bit mortified when he heard himself on the show. He said he sounded like Rain Man, which I told him was potentially offensive. He does sometimes have a rambly conversational pattern, but he's not normally quite SO longwinded. Believe it or not, he's a DJ for his college radio station and is actually pretty good at it. I'm not sure what got into him the day we recorded; nerves or something, although he denies it.

Also: hello! I hope ya'll won't hate me if I post on this forum from time to time. I love Max Fun very very much and you guys seem nice, barring the two nincompoops above.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:57 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be hurtful. I enjoyed the rest of the episode, but I will admit that by the third or fourth time it happened, I legitimately was wondering if Patrick was putting us on and doing a sort of performance art piece. On the other hand, I will not back down from my love of Adam the bat killer as he is a true American treasure among the likes of Luis Guzman and Mr Peanut.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:14 pm 
New Kid

I laughed really hard at this episode, probably because it sounded exactly like my best friend and me. The only thing that would have made this episode better is the addition of Adam the Bat Killer, but that is obvious.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:50 am 
New Kid

Let me just say that I have little faith left in humanity, especially when it comes to posting on online forums. One glance at 4Chan can make you wish you had been born a dung beetle, tapeworm, or the offspring of a human botfly; some lower form of life that, by our standards, may be undignified but at least do not necessarily successfully convince emotionally vulnerable people to commit suicide as the human stain has when given access to the world wide web. In light of this fact, I must say that I'm actually sort of relieved at the comments that did show up on this forum. Of course, there is the possibility that someone at some point posted a particularly harmful comment which may have been promptly removed by Mr. Thorn. It's possible. I don't know.

But, I must say that having my admitted rambling on the podcast critically referred to by you folks as "soliloquies" and a "performance art piece" actually feels somewhat complimentary. Someone even went so far as to ask whether or not I was doing a "secret Jeff Goldblum impression." Turns out, a young woman I currently kind of dig actually has a celebrity crush on Jeff Goldblum(!). So, I will thank those who may have been somewhat puzzled by my recorded demeanor for not feeling like you had to express this by pulling any low blows. You have restored within me some faith in the online community as a result.

Of course, I understand that people have and always will exploit the anonymity granted them by the shroud of the internet to criticize in what might not be so much an exaggerated attempt to hurt others but simply an unconscious reflex to boost one's own self-esteem by contributing something to a conversation that others might deem as clever. But, by the very nature of the world, energy/matter/mass is neither created nor destroyed (simply transferred) and so it is with self-esteem; while we hate to admit it, many situations exist where ending up on top results in either the perceived or actual lowering of another's sense of self.

Because I do not deny the presence of the narcissist within anyone, including myself, I would like to say that it was actually disappointing to visit the AVClub, find mention of Judge John Hodgman on the "Best Podcasts of this Week" feature and, upon clicking on the link, discover that this minor honor went to the other show that had been produced for that week, "Rashomon." So, there ya go. In order for me to have been completely satisfied, those involved with the other piece would have had to have made a lesser ranking, either in reality or simply in my head (because, in most realities, they would have gone on with their lives by now as I probably should have). Oh, here I am again. Going on and on...

In the words of Paul, the Human Botfly, "Shmlurghshmlurghshmlurghshmlurgh!"