Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:39 am 
New Kid

I absolutely love this feature every week! Thanks for exploring the wide world of podcasts out there.

My suggestion for you would be NSFW Show on the TWiT Network (http://nsfwshow.com/). But only the video version, as the audio version can be draining with the visual bits. (The live broadcast with pre and after shows are definitely worth exploring.) It's rare that there's a show with such a rabid, loyal, and truly interactive fan base (chatrealm) and with a labyrinth of inside jokes and references that must be baffling for new listeners. Also, it's a comedy show that is a true anomaly because the other programming is straightforward tech news. I would be very interested to hear your thoughts.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:23 pm 
New Sincericist

This week, I Podthink on Bookclub, BBC Radio 4's festival of articulateness that, if it doesn't teach you about the craft of writing, will certainly teach you about the craft of talking about books.

Coming up in Podthoughts:

The F Plus
Re: Joyce
The Japan Show
Longform Podcast
PodCRASH
Podcast Squared
The Q&A
Letter from America
The Three Percent
Lexicon Valley
The Adam and Drew Show
The Faroe Islands Podcast
On Being

Any and all reactions and suggestions welcome.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:02 am 
New Sincericist

This week, I Podthink on The F Plus, a comedic reading of forum posts from the most fetishistic echo chambers the internet has to offer. Steel yourself.

Re: Joyce
The Japan Show
Longform Podcast
PodCRASH
Podcast Squared
The Q&A
Letter from America
The Three Percent
Lexicon Valley
The Adam and Drew Show
On Being
Man School
By the Way
Follow Your Ears
Curiouscity
You Can't Eat the Sunshine

Last edited by colinmarshall on Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:34 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

I first listened to the F Plus around the time of the Earwolf Challenge and ended up feeling about the same as you did Colin. There's unquestionably solid entertainment value there but it's in the same way as there's entertainment value in shows like Cops or Horders. One may laugh at and be engrossed by the human tribulations on display but one also will very likely feel as if one should take a very hot shower afterwards. Possibly with a wire brush.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the New York City Crime Report podcast one day.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:17 am 
New Sincericist

This week, I Podthink on Re: Joyce, Frank Delaney's weekly reading/exegesis/celebration of Ulysses.

The Japan Show
Longform Podcast
PodCRASH
Podcast Squared
The Q&A
Letter from America
The Three Percent
Lexicon Valley
The Adam and Drew Show
On Being
Man School
By the Way
Follow Your Ears
Curiouscity

Last edited by colinmarshall on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:26 pm 
New Kid

For your consideration: Robin Pierson's The History of Byzantium, which launched last May. Taking the end of The History of Rome as his jumping-off point, Robin is following the fate of the Eastern Empire from 476 forward. With enough encouragement, he's planning on taking the story through 1453, presumably with the fall of Constantinople. This is basically a continuation of Mike Duncan's podcast (Robin started just a few weeks after Mike wrapped his end of the story), with the early episodes filling in details about what was happening in the East while the Western Empire was falling apart. At this point it's also more or less a continuation in style, since Robin is taking what you called in the History of Rome review the "serial audiobook approach", but he very comfortably inhabits that niche.

You got me started on The History of Rome, so I might as well return the favor with this. :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:06 am 
New Sincericist

This week, I Podthink on The Japan Show, where American and Aussie gaijin dissect the most irksome news coming out of the Land of the Rising Sun today.

Longform Podcast
PodCRASH
Podcast Squared
The Q&A
Letter from America
The Three Percent
Lexicon Valley
The Adam and Drew Show
On Being
Man School
By the Way
Follow Your Ears
Curiouscity
Dear HK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:44 pm 
New Kid

Love your reviews! My suggestion would be The Story Song Podcast. http://storysongpodcast.podbean.com/ It's music comedy / review show that focuses on the lyrics of songs. The hosts have good chemistry, and get a lot of comedy mileage out of examining things that weren't really meant to be thought about to much. It's a very interesting way to look at music. I'd really love to hear your thoughts.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:18 pm 
New Sincericist

This week, I Podthink on the Longform Podcast, whose long-form article-writing and -editing guests understand, on some level, that journalism will become essayism.

PodCRASH
Podcast Squared
The Q&A
Letter from America
The Three Percent
Lexicon Valley
The Adam and Drew Show
On Being
Man School
By the Way
Follow Your Ears
Curiouscity
Dear HK

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:54 pm 
New Sincericist

This week, I Podthink on the PODcrash, where Chris Gore crashes other peoples' pods to talk about Star Wars and sex stuff. Mostly Star Wars.

The Q&A
Letter from America
The Three Percent
Lexicon Valley
The Adam and Drew Show
On Being
Man School
By the Way
Follow Your Ears
Curiouscity
Dear HK
DVDASA
The Roth Show
The Titanium Physicists

Last edited by colinmarshall on Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:03 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Interesting to hear another perspective on Chris Gore Colin. I've never really jived with what he lays down, and even found him somewhat creepy a couple of times, especially when he's been on shows with attractive female co-hosts (Who Charted? comes to mind), so it's good to hear a point-of-view like yours.

enwilson wrote:
For your consideration: Robin Pierson's The History of Byzantium, which launched last May. Taking the end of The History of Rome as his jumping-off point, Robin is following the fate of the Eastern Empire from 476 forward. With enough encouragement, he's planning on taking the story through 1453, presumably with the fall of Constantinople. This is basically a continuation of Mike Duncan's podcast (Robin started just a few weeks after Mike wrapped his end of the story), with the early episodes filling in details about what was happening in the East while the Western Empire was falling apart. At this point it's also more or less a continuation in style, since Robin is taking what you called in the History of Rome review the "serial audiobook approach", but he very comfortably inhabits that niche.

You got me started on The History of Rome, so I might as well return the favor with this. :D

Good call.

Also, I assume since you've heard THoR you've heard Mike say that the 12 Byzantine Emperors podcast by Lars Brownworth was his own inspiration, but just in case you haven't ... http://12byzantinerulers.com/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:07 am 
New Sincericist

Bucho wrote:
Interesting to hear another perspective on Chris Gore Colin. I've never really jived with what he lays down, and even found him somewhat creepy a couple of times, especially when he's been on shows with attractive female co-hosts (Who Charted? comes to mind), so it's good to hear a point-of-view like yours.

Oh, we're buds now. In fact, he just did my show.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:54 pm 
New Sincericist

This week, I Podthink on Podcast Squared, the podcast about podcasts, podcast technology, and podcasting issues. Which means I have written a Podthought on a podcast about podcasts, podcast technology, and podcasting issues. Down the rabbit hole!

The Q&A
Letter from America
The Three Percent
Lexicon Valley
The Adam and Drew Show
On Being
Man School
By the Way
Follow Your Ears
Curiouscity
Dear HK
DVDASA
The Roth Show
The Titanium Physicists

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:33 pm 
New Sincericist

This week, I Podthink on The Q&A, a podcast of post-screening question-and-answer sessions featuring golden wisdom from Christopher McQuarrie and Shane Carruth alike.

Letter from America
The Three Percent
Lexicon Valley
The Adam and Drew Show
On Being
Man School
By the Way
Follow Your Ears
Curiouscity
Dear HK
DVDASA
The Roth Show
The Titanium Physicists

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:43 am 
New Sincericist

This week, I Podthink on Letter from America, 58 years of Alistair Cooke's sober outsider's perspective on the affairs of the U.S. of A.

The Three Percent
Lexicon Valley
The Adam and Drew Show
On Being
Man School
By the Way
Follow Your Ears
Curiouscity
Dear HK
DVDASA
The Roth Show
The Titanium Physicists
Talk to Me in Korean

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next