Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:50 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:16 pm 
Site Admin

This week, Rhea and Ricky face off in a competitive Pitch It, and only one walks away with a wheelbarrow full of imaginary money! Plus, Cameron shares the movie that made her, and we take a look at the 1995 buddy cop flick Bad Boys. Whatcha gonna do?

Discuss!

Wham Bam Pow Ep. 10 - Bad Boys and The Dread Pirate Roberts

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:59 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

The inexplicable identity switch premise and the paranoia in Lawrence's wife made me totally lose my interest in this movie. The witness is all over the place character-wise. It's like everyone behaved the opposite way real people would. Early Will Smith was tragically underutilized and the villains were generic and generally unthreatening. Also what the heck was up with Joey and the IA lady? That went absolutely nowhere. The first five minutes with Will and Martin in the car together were great though!

Giving Bad Boys one point five Mahk Laaaaooories.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:36 am 
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad

Despite that I'd absolutely go see Pigs in Space with Kristen Schaal and Harrison Ford in a second, I'm glad Ricky brought up the point of everything being "the best ever" is way overused.

And I'm really glad The Princess Bride was such a formative movie for Cameron...I'm glad she enjoys it so much so I don't have to. I don't know what it is about The Princess Bride, but I loathe that movie. I've tried to watch it on four separate occasions and I find I dislike it even more with each viewing. I thought after the first time that maybe I didn't give it a fair shake (since the majority of the people I saw the movie with wouldn't stop quoting it relentlessly). But when I tried watching it years later, I still hate it.

Part of it could be Wallace Shawn (Vizzini). I would rather cover myself in pollen and roll around in a kiddie pool filled with beehives than listen to him.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:47 pm 
New Kid

I'm also very excited about a Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon sequel. It's interesting to know that the original film was based on the fourth book in a five book epic by Chinese writer Wang Dulu called The Crane-Iron series.

The new movie is supposed to be based on the fifth book Iron Knight, Silver Vase. So hopefully from the source material, the new movie won't be a lame rehashing of the first film, but the continuation of a great series!

Edit: spelling and words

Last edited by nicholas.he on Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:42 pm 
New Sincericist

I felt like Bad Boys, even with all the problems, was a pretty okay movie. Bad Boys 2, on the other hand, was way too over-the-top and self-referential.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:55 pm 
New Kid

Finally catching up on this podcast, and really liking it. Everyone is smart, thoughtful, sensible, and funny. Even when I disagree with their take on a movie, they still present it in a way that I respect.

I feel, though, that for how important all three of the hosts are to this podcast's energy, it's weird how spotlighted Cameron Esposito is. In this episodes first few minutes, she speaks so continuously that when Ricky tries to jump in, she won't let him, and the podcast killer happens, where two both talk over each other for several seconds. Cameron seems unwilling to allow an evenly-balanced conversation take place, and doesn't let the panel have the ball for long enough. Not sure if there's much to be done, but there you go.