Maximum Fun Forum

A Forum About Things That Are Awesome
Return to Maximumfun.org Home
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:24 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:24 pm 
Staff

Craig Finn of The Hold Steady talks about the unpredictable and emotional music of the punk band The Replacements, and how one their songs changed his life. Video game journalist and TV host Morgan Webb talks semiotics, video games, and who REALLY makes up the gaming community. The actor Benedict Cumberbatch talks about putting his spin on one of pop culture's most ubiquitous heroes, Sherlock Holmes. And Jason Kottke suggests you check out the documentary Senna -- about the Brazilian Formula One driver, and two mini-documentaries about HAM.

Bullseye with Jesse Thorn: Benedict Cumberbatch, Morgan Webb, Craig Finn and Jason Kottke

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:51 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

Beautiful outshot. Wow.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:45 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

I hadn't heard of Kottke before, but after going to his site the first thing I saw was a time-lapse history of European borders over the past 1000 years and immediately bookmarked it. Ham sounds fantastic.

I felt bad for Morgan getting the "You're not really into games, are you?" all the time, since it probably translates to "hey, I play video games and pretty girls never talk to me. Are you sure pretty girls play games?" Maybe just replace that with girls in general. As a chubby guy that runs three times a week, she completely lost me when she said she doesn't work out. Now I hate her just as much as I hated every 150 lb. 6'1" guy that eats two pizzas for lunch every day.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:54 am 
Judge Hodgman's Justice Squad

RootBeerThoughts wrote:
Beautiful outshot. Wow.

Sentiment echoed.

http://aspiringpolymath.tumblr.com

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:03 pm 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

I'm going to echo the thanks for turning us listeners onto kottke.org. I know you've had Jason on before, but this time I finally checked out the blog. It's exactly what I look for in a time-waster on the net. It's fun, but I do feel a bit smarter after having spent some time there. As it's been running so long, and so many blogs attempt to do precisely what it does, I'm surprised it's not more widely known - or perhaps it is, and I'm the odd one out, for only just discovering it.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:43 am 
New Kid

Bullseye has now overtaken JJGO as the MaxFun show I look forward to most each week. Great ep. And the outshot was totally moving.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:54 am 
Esteemed Donor
Esteemed Donor

That outshot brought tears to my eyes. Holy shit.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:08 am 

Dammit, Morgan Webb also totally lost me when she said she never works out. This episode was amazing regardless (including the rest of Ms. Webb's interview). Bullseye is firing on all cylinders.

A) A cucumber.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:16 pm 
New Kid

It's been said a ton already, but seriously, what a great goddamn Outshot. I've been a fan of Curtis Mayfield forever and listening to Jesse talk about that particular song only made me appreciate his work even more. Relating his son to it made me a little weepy for sure. Great work.

Just a really solid episode all around, all the interviews were interesting and any time Craig Finn is given the opportunity to talk about stuff is awesome.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:08 pm 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I'm primarily familiar with The Chambers Brothers' cover of "People Get Ready;" I need to give the Curtis version some more listens. That Chambers Brothers' version is no joke and should not be overlooked though, and nor should the LP it's on, (The Time Has Come.) "All Strung Out" is a great power jam and there's lots of other great psych-soul on there.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:27 am 
New Kid

If you liked the outshot this week, then you might also like this spotify playlist I've made of all the music featured on Bullseye so far:

Music from Bullseye with Jesse Thorne on Spotify

It's a collaborative playlist, so feel free to add any music that I missed.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:35 am 
New Kid

Yeah, that Outshot was beautiful.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:28 pm 

I know you keep saying that coming up with material for your Outshot each week is a burden, but it sure doesn't show. They're all great, but this one was a home run.

And good job getting Benedict Cumberbatch on! That was a wonderful interview.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:17 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

Jesse on People Get Ready:

"It's about approaching even the darkest and most terrifying problems with an open heart. Facing down challenges with faith, not just in Jesus or God, but in love, and decency. Faith that if you join with others in doing what's right, the world will change around you. And here's the thing about the song. Here's the thing I want my son to know about meeting the world with an open heart. You don't need no ticket. You just get on board."

Yeah.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:25 am 
Friend of the Family
Friend of the Family

I first heard that song in 2008 as part of a mix somebody made in honour of the inauguration, and so that's always going to be my association. And like most people I have a lot of mixed emotions thinking back on that event, not just the floaty, unified, hopeful feeling that song evokes. But it's *never* stupid to hope. And the fact that it leaves you open to being hurt and disappointed is what makes it brave to hope, and to continue to hope.